From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a BISS encoder measurement possible with a 4497?

Hi all,

I am purchasing an angular encoder that has a BiSS-C protocol output. I am wondering if I can read this protocol with any of my existing boards, or if I need a new module that will be able to read it.

I have a PXIe1073 chassis with a 4497 high-speed card, a 6341 card and a 8433 serial card.

I also have a PXIe8880 chassis with a 4499 card and plenty of empty slots if I need a new module.

Thanks!
James

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,601 Views)

As far as I know there are NO readily available instrument from NI that can decode BISS protocol.

FYI, 4497 is a DSA AI, 6341 is a multifunction IO, 8433 is a RS485 card.

This means, out of all these only 6341 has digital IO to even implement any level of protocol. Based on the complexity of the BISS protocol you may or may not be able to implement on 6341.

If you want high speed capture from your encoder, using a RIO FPGA cards to implement BISS protocol would be the best option.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 6
(1,584 Views)

I see. Thanks for your advice.

The encoder can produce several different protocols. Do NI have any boards that would read one of these?

• SSI Synchronous Serial Interface
  • ASI Asynchronous Serial Interface
  • Serial Periperal Interface
  • Analogue voltage (obviously this one works)
  • A/B/Z pulses
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,575 Views)

A/B/Z pulses can be read by many DAQ cards (counter input), for example the 6341 😀 .

I suggest you search for "quadrature encoder" on ni.com.

Let us know if you need further help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,562 Views)

A/B/Z connection with 6341 and analog voltage mode with 6341 would be the easiest one to implement.

I would not suggest to use 4497 for precision DC measurements, DSA cards have input filters that are precisely selected for AC measurements such as sound and vibration.

With some effort, you could even implement SPI protocol (again on 6341)

SSI and ASI, would be the comparatively difficult one to implement (may be even challenging or not possible)

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,549 Views)

This one will solve your problem

SEA 9521

https://www.sea-gmbh.com/index.php?id=745

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(878 Views)