Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install NI PCI-6251M

Hi all,
Help!
Since yesterday afternoon I've tried to install and configured the NI PCI-6251M card with
no luck. I wonder if you could give me some pointers.
The PC we have is a Compaq DeskPro, Pentium3, with Window 2000, and Labview 6 and 6.1

First, I tried to install the card several time and the PC couldn't recognize the card.
So, the following contains the steps I tried to install and configure this NI PCI-6251M card:

1. Possible bad PCI slot:
Moved card to different slot
- Card was not recognized by window

2. Possible IRQ conflict with other NI PCI-5411 card:
Removed NI PCI-5411 + the card.
Rebooted
Made sure Device Manager had no trace of DAQ device
Powered down, installed the new card only
Rebooted
-Card was not
recognized by window

Powered down
Removed the card, put back NI-PCI-5411
Powered up
- NI-PCI 5411 was recognized OK ****

3. Possible error in installing driver:
Removed al NI DAQ cards
Powered up
Inserted NI DAQ 7.3 CD
Restart to fully reinstall NI DAQ driver 7.3
Powered down, installed the new card only
Powered up
- Card was still not recognized by window, no trace in Device Manager or MAX

Any pointer is appreciated. Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,212 Views)
Dear MI Guy! Before we address the issue of the card being recognized, theres one thing that I would like to point out - I think that the M series cards need to use DAQmx and would not work with LV 6.0 and 6.1, because they use Traditional DAQ only.

Now coming to the issue of the card not being recognized, there is a possibility of having phantom copies of the older driver -- (6.9.3 ??) and that could be causing this problem - as the M series would need the latest driver. I would suggest trying to make sure that your computer does not have any trace of any old drivers and then install NI-DAQ 7.3.

If that also fails, you may want to try this card in another computer to check if the same problem persists.

Hope this helps - VNIU
Message 2 of 6
(3,212 Views)
Thanks, voraciousniuser,
Did what you suggested, installing the card in another PC. The PC picked it up just fine. Then I removed all residue of NI-DAQ software from the problematic PC, reinstalled NI-DAQ. Still not working!
Please advice.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,212 Views)
The M Series devices only work with LabVIEW 7.0 or later because they are only supported under NI-DAQmx. This board will not work until you upgrade LabVIEW or use a different programming language. Good luck.
Message 4 of 6
(3,212 Views)
I installed LabView 7.0, removed NI DAQ driver, reinstalled NI-DAQ 7.3; problem still existed.

I took all hardware and installed into another PC of same manufacture and model (Compaq Deskpro, Pentium 3); problem still wouldn't go away.

I repeated the above action with yet another PC (hp Compaq, Pentium4) same OS; amazing enough, all hardware were picked up just fine! Got me, don't know why.

Thanks you all for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,215 Views)

It sounds like you have worked out the problem to your satisfaction, but for anyone else interested it sounds like MI Guy might have been experiencing the behavior described in this KnowledgeBase.

Thanks-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,100 Views)