From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input source for 12bit ADC

Hello

I want to test a 12 bit ADC (both single ended & differential input) and looking for a good source to give input to the ADC. I have following options, please suggest which one is the best,

1) PXI 6289  Multifunction DAQ

2) PXI 5421 AWG

3) PXI 4130  SMU

Thanks & Regards

NM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,689 Views)

Hi, and welcome to the NI discussion forums -

The source you need will depend on what kind of stimulus you wish to provide, and what types of tests you'd like to do.  Are you more interested in testing for DC linearity (INL/DNL) on the ADC, or do you care more about spectral performance (THD, SNR, SFDR)?  Also, what is the maximum signal frequency (not sample rate) you wish to test at?

For DC linearity tests, I'd probably recommend the Multifunction DAQ board, but depending on if you're testing for THD, and the spec you need to hit, then an AWG may also be necessary.  There is some pre-written LabVIEW code for ADC test located here, that uses an AWG as the signal source, a PXI Power Supply for power, and a PXI high speed digital board for reading the data back in.

If you can post the tests you'd like to perform and the specs you'd need to hit, I can help verify the hardware you need to do the job.

Cheers,

Travis

Message Edited by Travis W on 06-29-2009 01:38 PM
Message Edited by Travis W on 06-29-2009 01:40 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,653 Views)
Message Edited by JeremyDC on 06-29-2009 01:45 PM

Jeremy
National Instruments
Power Supplies & SMUs
0 Kudos