From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to synchronize Sample Clock Dividers on PXI-5105 and PXI-6133?

I would like to syncronize the continuous mode multi-channel analog input measurements in my PXI system, but I am confused about how to accomplish this using the C-Function Drivers for two different product families.

Here is a layout of my system.

PXI-1033 Chassis:
Slot 2: PXI-6652 TCXO Synch. Board
           External 10MHz reference on PFI1 -> PLL -> PXI_CLK10 on backplane
           DDS generates Sample Clock Timebase  -> Rear Synch Clock (Full Rate) -> Synchronous Routing to PXI_STAR0 & PXI_STAR1
           Software Trigger connected to PXI_TRIG0 for Starting Acquisition on all AI Channels
           After acquisition is started, disconnect Software Trigger from PXI_TRIG0 & connect to PXI_TRIG1 for Stopping Acquisition
Slot 3: PXI-5105 High Speed Digitizer/Scope (using NI-Scope driver)
           Set NISCOPE_ATTR_SAMP_CLK_TIMEBASE_src=NISCOPE_VAL_PXI_STAR (External Sample Clock from PXI_STAR)
           Set NISCOPE_ATTR_SAMP_CLK_TIMEBASE_RATE to 6652 DDS Frequency
           Set NISCOPE_ATTR_SAMP_CLK_TIMEBASE_DIV to correct divisor value to get desired sample rate (say 500 kHz)
           Set internal timebase reference to NISCOPE_VAL_NO_SOURCE (only option when using external sample clock)
           Setup Triggers: NISCOPE_ATTR_ACQ_ARM_SOURCE from NISCOPE_VAL_RTSI_0 (PXI_TRIG0) and
                                     Digital Reference Trigger from NISCOPE_VAL_RTSI_1 (PXI_TRI1)
           Request only 1 post-reference sample so that continuous acquisition stops immediately after reference trigger.
Slot 4: PXI-6133 S-Series Multifunction DAQ (using DAQmx driver)
           DAQmxSetSampClkTimebaseSrc to PXI_Star for external sample timebase
           DAQmxSetSampClkTimebaseRate to 6652 DDS Frequency
           DAQmxSetSampClkTimebaseDiv to correct divisor value to get desired sample rate (say 500 kHz)
           Set Sample Clock source to ai/SampleClock using DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming (this is the divided down SampleClockTimebase?)
           Set Start Acquisition trigger to PXI_Trig0
           DAQmx cannot use a reference trigger to stop a continuous acquisition, so I guess I'll use DAQmxStopTask
           (or I thought about disconnecting  the DDS sample clock timebase from PXI_STAR0/1 in the 6652 so
            that the 5105 & 6133 stop synchronously)

I think that this will work, but I'm concerned about a few issues:
(1) How to syncronize the timebase dividers in each device so that the 5105 sample clock and the 6133 sample clock are in phase?
      Should I use NI-TClk functions like niTClk_ConfigureForHomogeneousTriggers?
      Or, should I manually configure a Sync pulse from the 6652 to each of the units using a 3rd software trigger on PXI_TRIG2 
      going to NISCOPE_ATTR_CLOCK_SYNC_PULSE_SOURCE and DAQmxSetSyncPulseSrc?

(2) The 5105 specs show that the External Timebase can be any frequency from 8 MHz to 65 MHz.  At sample rates < 8MHz, this is the reason that I need to provide a faster timebase and divide it down to get the sample clock frequency.  Will the internal sample clocking performance be the same across the entire range?   Does it expect discrete 1MHz steps between timebase frequencies, like the Reference PLL?

(3) What are the minimum and maximum values for the external timebase frequency for the 6133?  (Anything up to 20MHz?)

Thanks in advance for tackling this one.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,214 Views)
Hi,

I think the best way to synchronize your PXI-5105 and the PXI-6133 cards would be to import the clock from the PXI-6522 and also the trigger to the other two cards. The NI-TClk can be used only on SMC devices such as the PXI-5105 but the PXI-6133 will not work with that. The NI-SYNC driver is a great utility to accomplish this. You can download it here.

Chapter 7 of the NI-SYNC user manual talks about synchronizing multiple NI MIO Modules. I think that would be a great resource.

You are right about the maximum source frequency for the PXI-6133. It is 20MHz.

Regards,

Raajit L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Raajit L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,192 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion to use the NI-Sync driver rather than NI-Tclk and the information on maximum sample clock timebase frequency on the PXI-6133.

The MIO_665x_Sync example does have some similarities to what I am trying to do.  However, the scan clock generated by the DDS appears to be at the same rate as the measurement (no clock dividers are used).

However, I still need to know how to synchronize the clock dividers in the 5105 and 6133.

Also, is there a way to get the actual code for that example?  I cannot find it anywhere on the NI-Sync CD, installed files on my hard drive, or on the NI website.

Best regards,

StingrayRF

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,177 Views)
What should the 6133 "Sample Clock >> Source" property be set to so that it will use the internally divided Sample Clock Timbebase?

Is "ai/SampleClockTimebase " the correct terminal? 

This is from the DAQmx C Reference Help "Terminal Names" page:
"
ai/SampleClockTimebase A terminal within a device where the AI Sample Clock Timebase can be found. This is the onboard clock source for the AI sample clock.
"
Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,175 Views)
Hello,

You are right. By using the ai/SampleClockTimebase you will indeed be using the onboard clock on the 6133. As far as examples are concerned, if you have installed NI-SYNC already, have you seen the examples located in "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\CVI80\samples\NISync"?

If you are not using NI-SYNC you would just need to route the clock and the trigger of the 6552 to the other boards in order to synchronize them. Synchronization examples can just be found using help > find examples > double click on the hardware input and output > DAQmx folder, in the CVI environment. Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Raajit L | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
Raajit L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,134 Views)