From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup thermocouples for USB-6353 X-Series

I'm considering a USB-6353 X-series multifunctional DAQ for an application.  Can I use this DAQ device for K-Type thermocouples with no additional hardware?  Could I setup an RTD or something similar within the terminal block and use that as a CJC channel?  I've added the USB-6353 as a simulated device in MAX and it seems to be OK with this type of configuration.

I like to use NI products because I find MAX really easy to use, and it is also really easy for other test engineers to make changes in MAX without needing to mess with my LabVIEW program I have setup for them.  But NI's thermocouple signal conditioning modules (like the SCC modules and SCXI modules) are just really expensive (IMO).  In the past I've used cheaper USB products such as the PICO TC-08 that I have some LabVIEW drivers for and combined the data from that with the data coming from my NI DAQ device.  But I'm tired of that solution, and just prefer everything coming in one large chunk from a single daq device for simplicity reasons.

Also, is there anything like the USB-6354 that has built in CJC?

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,056 Views)

Hi Nickerbocker,

The USB-6353 should be able to handle K-Type thermocouples as seen in your simulation. You should also be able to setup an RTD within the terminal block and use that as a CJC channel. 

The thermocouple modules at the following link have built in CJC and are USB form factor: http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/daq/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:daq,n24:USB,n36:15/

Hope this helps!

-Carisa

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,036 Views)

I have a USB X-series 6351/6361/6341 (not sure which particularly off the top of my head). I was wondering if this would be able to read an R or S type thermocouple? If not, is there an adapter or filter of some sort to make it work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,585 Views)

Hi kkennedy4,

This shouldn't be an issue.  When creating DAQmx tasks and creating virtual channels for thermocouples, you are able to specify type as J, K, N, R, S, T, B.

Assuming you're following the device specifications for inserting your wires in the proper pins, you won't have a problem.

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,563 Views)