From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make IIC using a multifunction DAQ (Labview or CVI)

I would like to generate IIC by using the digital IO of a multifunction DAQ, has somebody
experience or even beter an application example. All info is wellcome, thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,180 Views)
What's IIC?
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,175 Views)
IIC stands for a serial communication bus(serail data, serail clock, gnd) between IC's, this is
often used in consumer products.
PS IIC stands for "Inter IC bus"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,171 Views)
Hi,

You are talking about the I2C, Inter Integrated Circuit bus. It's a 2-wire serial interface standard defined by Philips Semiconductor. I was originally used to connect a CPU to pheripheral chips in a TV-set. It consists of two active wires and a ground connection.

Ok, so far the explaination of the interface.

1. You can basically interface trough LabVIEW with a Digital I/O board. You just access the digital lines and convert the information.

Like in the attached llb, Demo_I2C. This example uses normal Traditional Daq functions to access the I/O lines from a NI digital board.

2. There has been a driver developed by one of our Alliance members. This driver communicates with chips through the Parallel port. Check the following link:

http://www.calbay.com/I2C_driver.htm

3. FPGA boards are always a nice solution too. Just put the convertion algorithm + DIO access on a FPGA. (more expensive solution ofcourse). It's no really a high speed data transfer so you don't really need FPGA for the speed.

BTW: Search on our website for I2C. You will get more hits then.

Regards.

Joris V
TL AE
NI Belgium
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,149 Views)

Anyone kept the driver from Calbay?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,077 Views)