Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable a suspend mode request from an UPS?

Hi,

when my APC Powerchute suite tries to suspend the PC because of a mains fail, I get the message that the ni-usb6215 driver prevents suspend mode  - the PC keeps running and is cut of the power supply a little later, what results in a loss of data and a corrupted file system .... 😞
How can I enable the suspend/power down mode even with running LV application? I looked for some driver options concerning power down or power save modes but did not find anything.

Thanks for your answers!

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,183 Views)
Hello Christian,

if i understand you correct you try to control your pc to the suspend mode with your software (APC Powerchute suite). But the usb device dose not allow this.
I found a entry in a KB:

Suspend mode doesn't work with USB or 1394

Problem
The suspend state causes the machine to hang.

Solution
Don't leave a USB or 1394 device plugged in when going into suspend mode, or shutdown the machine instead of entering suspend mode.

But you can try to change the windows settings:

The Windows 'Power Options' control panel does NOT contain all of the power management settings available for the machine. To tell the machine not to put USB into a low-power state, go to control panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Universal Serial Bus Controllers->USB Root Hub->Properties->Power Management. Deselect the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option. If there are multiple USB Root Hub entries, determine which one is powering your DAQPad by going to its properties window and checking the Power tab - it will appear in this window for the hub that powers it.

Kind regards,

Elmar
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,163 Views)
Hello Elmar,

thanks for your reply. I think you got my problem: I want to switch the PC into suspend mode but the NI driver prevents this.

I checked the USB-Hub power option as stated in the KB article: The option is selected, what means that the PC is allowed to switch of the USB devices - but the NI driver ignores this setting and keeps the PC running until the uninteruptable power supply cuts of the supply to save battery life. 😞

Is there maybe a not documented configuration option for the nixsrkw.sys driver?  Do you have any  further ideas?

Thanks,

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,160 Views)
Hello Christian,

i dosent found another info about the suspend mode.

Kind regards,

Elmar
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,151 Views)
Hello Elmar,

your answer was helpful, because it gave me a workaround solution:

I deactivated the suspend mode ability in the windows power management options. Now the APC PowerChute shuts down windows instead of trying to go into suspend mode. My LV application writes the measurement  data every ten minutes alternating in two files - shutting down the PC via the UPS closes the Labview App and shuts down XP, preventing the file system from getting corrupted - so I am happy now.

Thanks again,
Christian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,147 Views)