From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect encoder to USB 6361 to count up and down and measure position

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello.

I am working with an encoder with three outputs - A,B, and Z (ENX10 Easy 512IMP). I am using USB 6361 to acquire the signals. Per the documentation for the USB 6361 Multifunction I/O device manual, I see where to connect the encoder outputs to utilize the appropriate counters in the USB 6361. I have connected the encoder and I have worked through the example program (Counter - Count Edges ). When I turn the motor, I can count counts, but the counts only increment, regardless of the direction that the motor rotates. I would like the counts to increment and decrement based on the rotation of the motor. Is it possible to do this with the hardware that I have?

Additionally, I was also working with the sample code: Counter - Read Encoder and I was working through an NI demo on YouTube to use encoders to measure angular position. I have the encoder connected to the device, but the output bounces between 0 and 0.175, regardless of the direction that I rotate the motor. I don't get a smooth angular position output as demonstrated in the YouTube video.

It seems that I have made a fundamental mistake and that I am missing a crucial piece of the set-up. Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely,

Emily

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,793 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Miller37

I briefly tried to look up your encoder, but didn't quickly narrow it down to your exact model #.  I noticed that many encoders in that family produce *differential* outputs while NI MIO boards will want single-ended signals.  You may need to convert from differential to TTL.

"Counter - Read Encoder" is the correct example to start from.  When signals are compatible and wired correctly, that encoder position measurement task will measure both + and - rotation changes. 

Another thing to double-check: the single-increment toggle behavior you observed (0.0 to 0.175 deg) would happen if *only* ch A or ch B are wired & configured appropriately.  Make sure that the wiring config in the software matches the actual connections at the terminal block.  And make sure you didn't lose a channel by crimping down on insulation or something.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(1,777 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your feedback. It turns out that I had a loose wire prior to the connection to the DAQ.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,758 Views)