From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change Resolution of ADC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

how can i change the resolution of the analog-digital converter on my NI-USB6211 from 16bit to 12bit ?

This should happen in Matlab. I'm using the Session based interface.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,109 Views)

Why would you want to?  I don't see what you would be gaining by doing that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,102 Views)
To change resolution, you would need to change the DAQ device to one that has 12 bits. Silly question as far as I can see.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,092 Views)

It's because of a Matlab script whitch ran with an older daq pad with a 12 bit resolution.

I have to migrate it to a newer daq pad and had also to rewrite parts of it as i needed a new interface in Matlab (session based interface as legacy based interfaced is no longer supported.

Here is a screenshot of a Voltage measurement. The blue curve is from the new daq pad and looks quite erratic. I think the reason might be the adc.

Maybe you have some ideas

Voltage

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,059 Views)

This doesn't look like an ADC issue.  It looks more like a noise issue.  What are you trying to measure?  What is your sample rate?  Do you have things properly grounded?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,044 Views)

I want to measure the voltage of a window motor.
I tried different sample rates, but they all look similar to the screenshot i posted. There the sample rate is 10k S/s.

I hope the everything is properly grounded

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,041 Views)

Try a smoothing algorithm. You can do it yourself, use a low pass filter, or use Savitsky-Golay smoothing.

If you read the raw binary from the DAQ device, you could manipulate the bits to eliminate the 4 LSB.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,034 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mertin

I got the solution:
Changed the ADC range from -10 V - 10 V to -.0,2 V - 0,2 V

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,018 Views)