From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Change cDAQ Controller?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking into updating 8 test rigs that rotate and measure the torque of the handles on flow control valves. Currently, all 8 test rigs are being controlled by one computer and the torque is being measured by a single C-Series module. I would like to make these rigs independent of this computer so I am think of using a cDAQ with a controller in order to both measure the torque and control the operation of these rigs. The purpose of this update is to allow the rigs to be used at different work stations.

However, I would also like these rigs to still be controllable from this computer since it would be easier to operate multiple rigs. My problem is that I don't know how to do this. I was think that you could measure the voltage readings through a usb port on the cDAQ to indicate whether or not it is plugged in. Then, it can switch control from the cDAQ to the computer but I don't know if this is even possible. Therefore, could someone answer these questions:

1) Is it possible to change how a rig is controlled (i.e. from a cDAQ controller to a PC)?

2) If possible, is the method that I proposed feasible in your opinion?

3) How would you accomplish this task?

Please keep in mind that I am not too familiar with how NI DAQs work and I am know the basics of reading and writing LabView programs. Therefore, the more detail that can be provided would really help me. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,416 Views)

Personally, I think I would go with cRIOs and then you use Ethernet (TCP/IP or Network Streams) to do the controlling.  Then whoever needs to talk to that cRIO can.  But, more importantly, the cRIO can run on its own without anybody connected to it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,403 Views)

Hello CrossRulz,

Can't a cDAQ with a built-in controller also work independently? I was looking to do it using a cDAQ controller because there is pre-existing code and I didn't want to set-up a FPGA since my knowledge of LabView coding is already lacking.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,396 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JATHL

@JATHL wrote:

Can't a cDAQ with a built-in controller also work independently?

They can.  I just found them not worth it for my applications.  But given your position that is a good way to go.  Again, use TCP/IP or Network Streams to pass data back and forth with your main computer.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,391 Views)