Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does this forum lead to the solution of a technical problem?

I have a problem that I feel is a defective myDAQ. How does this website bring a solution to this problem??? Is this what NI considers Customer Service? Someone help me here because for a fault myDAQ or some other faulty equipment I see this forum as useless and a waste of my time. Time better spent on completing homework and labs!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,115 Views)
The forums have helped thousands and thousands of people solve their problems with hardware and software. You have not done anything to describe your problem - only whine. Describe in some detail your issue and you'll get help determining whether it is a programming issue or bad hardware and what to do with it. You also have a dedicated board for academic hardware that you've chosen not to post to. You should ask the moderator to move your question to that board.
Message 2 of 10
(4,113 Views)
I see you described your problem in another thread. It would have been nice to mention that and provide a link. Personally, I don't click on every user's name to check posting history.

I don't use academic hardware so I am unsure if there is a fuse. What does your manual say? What about the test panel and self-test in MAX? How much current is being sourced and what is the maximum listed in the spec sheet?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,099 Views)

Sorry Dennis,

This is the first forum I've ever posted to to try and get a problem resolved. It's a heck of a lot easier to make a phone call and get a live person where you can have a quick and efficient back and forth exchange of information to resolve a problem. One piece of info I left out was I was using the DMM in Elvis to display my reading. I have no trouble taking voltage readings using the same probes so I'm thinking it's something internal to the myDAQ on the A port. Thats only speculation and I don't know of any other way of checking it besides the simple 9V battery one resistor circuit!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,095 Views)
To take a current reading, you've switched the probe connections?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,085 Views)

Yes! I kept the Black in the center port and moved the red probe to the right of the black, from "V/ohm" port to the "A" port.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,078 Views)

It says on the side of the A port that 1 A MAX. Does that mean that there is an internal 1 A fuse protecting the circuit that I can replace by opening up the back??

Thanks!

Glenn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,060 Views)

@Glnd wrote:

It says on the side of the A port that 1 A MAX. Does that mean that there is an internal 1 A fuse protecting the circuit that I can replace by opening up the back??

Possibly.  A check you might want to do is take another DMM and measure the resistance between the current inputs on the MyDAQ.  It should measure near a short.

The DMMs I have worked with do have fuses in there for the current measurements.  NI tends to have surface mount fuses, so I hope you are good at soldering if that is the way you want to go.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,053 Views)

I would have thought that any device NI makes for students,would be designed and built using replaceble fuses for obvious reasons!

What kind of warrenty does my myDAQ have if any and will I be voiding the warrenty by opening up the back?

And when I open the back if it's a soldered on fuse whats it look like?

Thanks!

Glenn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,043 Views)

Hello Glnd

You should probably want to try to post on the academic forum that was specifically created for your particular hardware. In there, it will be easier and faster for you to get an aswer. It is important for the community to place the issues on the correct forums. If you place a link with this post as reference, it will probably speed things up.

Academic Hardware Products (ELVIS, myDAQ, myRIO) - NI Discussion Forums
http://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-ELVIS/bd-p/10

Cheers

Fabián M.
Internal Sales Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,028 Views)