Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one delete setups in MAX for a PXI chassis with a RT controller

I have a PXI chassis with an
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,056 Views)

Hello SigPhil,

I think you might have forgotten to finish your post. From what I gather, you are trying to delete your PXI chassis that contains an RT controller from MAX. This can be done similar to normal PXI devices. Simply right click on the device and select delete.

Let me know if there was more detail to your question and I will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Chris Behnke
Sr. RF Engineer
High Frequency Measurements
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,017 Views)

Chris B

Actually I didn't really think I even posted this. As I was working on the post, my NI sales guy showed up so I figured he could answer the question and I aborted the post (i had thought). Appears to be some kind of a glitch in the forum software because it posted five times in the same second with sligtly different text within the five.

But the real issue was that I have my RT controller in a PXI chassis and a DIO card in slot 2 that would not work in "Test Panel" mode. I moved it to slot 4 and it worked fine, but I noticed that MAX had a DAQ-MX device still listed in slot 2. I could not right click on the DIO device under the DAQ-MX section and select delete because that was not an available option. Therefore I was looking for the DAQ-MX equivalent to the Traditional DAQ niconfig.daq file so that I could wipe out the DAQ-MX settings. Thanks to my NI sales guy Kit, I found this to be the "config3" files located in the C:\NI-RT\System\ folder. Not sure if I needed to rename the three of them (.mx5, .mxd, .mxs), but I did. After repowering the PXI chassis, the three files were recreated and my MAX setup was clean.

Went through the process again at the same time I moved my DIO card back to slot 2. WIth this MAX configuration reset, my DIO card now functioned properly in slot 2. So the original probem must have been a corrupt DAQ-MX setup that could not be cleared or deleted using the MAX interface.

Anyhow, thanks for the attempt at answering my 4 word post. To make my efforts more efficient in the future, can you describe the three "config3" files (.mx5, .mxd, .mxs), and let me know if I need to delete all three to reset the DAQ-MX setup?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,009 Views)

Hello SigPhil,

To remove the configuration settings in MAX, you must remove or rename all of the contents in the following directory:

• Windows XP and Windows 2000:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\MAX\Data\

• Windows Vista:
    C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Data

If this folder cannot be seen, go to the C drive and then in the menu bar:
    Organize » Folder and Search Options » click the ' view ' tab.
    Click the option ' show hidden files and folders '
    Also uncheck ' Hide protected Operating System files '

The primary file is config3.mxs, but could also include config3.mxc, config3.mxd, config3.mx5, and storage.mxc. All of these files should be removed.

My usual technique for this type of situation is to simply rename the Data folder to data_backup or move the folder to a backup location. When you close and open MAX after doing this, a new Data folder will be created and your configurations will be reset. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Chris Behnke
Sr. RF Engineer
High Frequency Measurements
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,984 Views)