Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you preform an "External Calibration" in Calibration Executive 3.5?

Mark,

I have found two options for you. The first is to use the steps found in the Calibration Procedure Manual for B/E/M/S/X Series Devices (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370937k.pdf). If you look under the Adjustment Procedures, it walks through how to do external calibration. As a note, the steps it recommends to take use LabVIEW VI's for the calibration procedure so you will need to do them on your PC with LabVIEW installed (with the DAQmx driver).

The other option is to fill out a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) for the parts that throw this error. This means the part will be sent in and put through tests (including calibration) to get the part working correctly again. All recorded instances of this error being thrown have been because there was something wrong with the device itself. If you would like to have your devices RMA'd, you would need to call in and talk to a Customer Service Representative and Applications Engineer.

From the information I have found, there is no way to run an external calibration from Calibration Executive itself. Try these steps to work through this issue.

Cameron T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(3,979 Views)

Cameron,

Thank you for taking the time to look into the problems & limitations with Calibration Executive.  I appreciate this.  Really.

I did have to install Labview on my cal PC.  With a very limited number of licenses there were a couple IT guys & engineers unhappy about it, but I have a job to do.  The shame of it is that Cal Exec doesn't have this ability built-in.  Seriously--a cal program that can't make EEPROM adjustments?  Pouring salt in the wound were the errors telling me what to do--but no documentation on HOW to do it.

Of the small pile of red-tagged E-series DAQ cards that had failed in the past I was able to resuscitate one.  It had a ludicrous on-chip Cal Temp. stored from the previous cal so any subsequent cal could not match it within limits.  The .vi allowed me to over-write the bogus value so calibration could proceed.  So at least there was one out here in the field that didn't fail due to a hardware problem.

My bigger issue still remains that this program won't talk to my Standard.  I don't have a problem per se with a cal program that only supports one model of calibrator.  The problem is we were told via the website AND over a comfirmation phone call that the program would operate in Automatic mode with our standard (as well as other makes/models).  Is there some reason NI has written this program to only function with a Fluke 5700 calibrator? 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(3,970 Views)

Mark,

Where did you originally find the list of supported standards?

Cameron T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(3,946 Views)

I'm not sure.  I have it as a text file printout so I probably would have done that if it was found only on a webpage (as opposed to a saveable pdf or doc).  I recall originally locating it by keyword searching the NI Knowledge Base and Documentation pages but now I can't locate it. 

On the page “How Can I Find Available Standards for Calibration Executive in Automated Mode?“:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/89428763E755573F86256DEA006FE9A1

There is this link referenced :

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C533B27F38E28F6186256DEA00748CA6

This shows 2 calibrators (Fluke 5500 & Fluke 5700) but the language on the page alludes to much wider support.  The program itself only supports the 5700.

My saved list:

Tektronix    CG 551AP    Calibrator
Tektronix    CG 5001        Calibrator
Yokogawa    CA100        Calibrator
Fluke        5440B        Calibrator
Fluke        5100B        Calibrator
FLuke         5720A        Calibrator
Fluke        5520A        Calibrator
Fluke         5700A        Calibrator
Fluke        5500A        Calibrator
AOIP        SN8310        Calibrator
AOIP        PJ 6301        Calibrator
Mensor        APC6000        Calibrator
TSI Inc        IFA 300        Calibrator
Fluke / DH Ins    PPC2+        Calibrator, Controller
Xitron Tech    2000        Calibrator
Datron        4700        Calibrator
Precision Filt    6201C        Calibrator
EDC        520A        Calibrator
Fluke / DH Ins    Molbox        Calibrator
Fluke        5101B        Calibrator
Fluke        6100a        Calibrator, Signal Generator
Fluke / DH Ins    PPCK+        Calibrator, Controller
Fluke        9500B        Calibrator
Wavetek        9100        Calibrator
Ruska        7615        Controller, Calibrator
Mensor        PCS400        Calibrator
Fluke        6105a        Calibrator, Signal Generator
Ectron        1140A        Calibrator, Other
Omicron        CMC 256Plus    Calibrator
Fluke        6100b        Calibrator, Signal Generator
Fluke        5080A        Calibrator

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(3,900 Views)

Mark,

The Fluke drivers install with Calibration Executive. That is why they would be the only ones to show up. If you want to use different standards, follow the steps listed on this KnowledgeBase article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/89428763E755573F86256DEA006FE9A1?OpenDocument

Cameron T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(3,871 Views)

That guide was followed by my Labview & IT guys but it didn't work.  All it seemed to accomplish was to add the 5100B to the menu list of Sources.  The 5700 that is supported has a library folder, .dll's, .vi's, references in .ini files and many others.  The 5100 has only 3 tiny code files in the ivi download. The driver downloads for the 5100 vs. the 5700 are totally different in content / file types.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(3,860 Views)