From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I specify the GPCTR0's Source using NIDAQ API Functions for C++?

I am trying to route a PFI signal to a RTSI signal. Erin B. recommended "It is possible to route an external signal through the board to a RTSI line, but you will need to use GPCTR0 to do this. The way to do this is to connect your external signal to a PFI line and specify that line as GPCTR0's Source. You then have to configure a counter operation such as simple event counting. By doing this, you basically turn on the ability to route that signal elsewhere on the board. Then, call Select_Signal to route GPCTR0 Source to RTSIn. You can then start the counter, and the signal on PFIn will automatically be routed to RTSIn."

However, how would I map the GPCTR0 source to the
PFI? Would the following set of NIDAQ API function calls be the right way to do this (PCI-6071E is device 1 and the AT-AO-10 is device 3)
/* disconnect PFI signal*/
Select_Signal(1, ND_PFI_8, ND_NONE, ND_DONT_CARE );

/* reset GPCTR0 and start simple event counting */
GPCTR_Control(1, ND_COUNTER_0, ND_RESET);
GPCTR_Set_Application(1, ND_COUNTER_0, ND_SIMPLE_EVENT_CNT);
GPCTR_Change_Parameter(1, ND_COUNTER_0, ND_SOURCE, ND_PFI_8);
GPCTR_Change_Parameter(1, ND_COUNTER_0, ND_INITIAL_COUNT, 0);

/* connect RTSI triggerline to GPCTR0 source */
Select_Signal(1, ND_RTSI_6, ND_GPCTR0_SOURCE, ND_LOW_TO_HIGH );

/* connect AT-AO-10's EXTUPDATE to RTSI triggerline */
RTSI_Conn (3, 5, 6, 0);

/* start counting */
GPCTR_Control(1, ND_COUNTER_0, ND_PROGRAM);

As well the RTSI switch is made up of 34 pins but only provides 7 trigger lines. Which of the 34 pins correspond to the 7 trigger lines? I am trying to monitor the outputs on the RTSI pins using a scope to check if t
he mapping actually works.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,394 Views)
The code that you specify is correct. By using GPCTR_Change_Parameter and selecting PFI8 as the counter source, you can connect your external signal to PFI8 and that signal will be used as the counter source. By calling Select_Signal to route the counter source to RTSI6, the signal that you connect to PFI8 will also be routed to RTSI6.

For a pinout of the RTSI connector on your DAQ board, you can refer to the following Knowledgebase entry:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/ad2d553f55a07bbf8625650d005f1f00?OpenDocument

This will tell you how the RTSI connector is pinned out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Erin
Message 2 of 3
(2,394 Views)
It worked! Thanks for the help Erin.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,394 Views)