From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I count rising edges on an analog clock using an event structure?

I have a motor with a thermal sensor on it, the motor is locked up and will turn it self on for a second or two, over heat, and the sensor will turn the motor off.  The motor will cool down, and the temperature sensor will allow it to turn on again and repeat.  I need to count how many times the motor turns on over 8 hours.  I need to read the temperature of the motor every time the motor turns on.  Is there a way to trigger an event using the event structure and a dynamic event when the motor turns itself on.  In this event I can increment a counter and take temperature readings, but I am not sure how to setup the event structure if it is even possible.

Software: LabView 8.5

Hardware: NI cDAQ-9172, NI 9205

I am using a 100A, 100mV shunt and three thermistors connected to the 9205.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,481 Views)

Hi Abraham_G,

Can you tell us more about the circuitry behind the motor controller? Has this already been implemented? If so, what hardware/software is it using? What kind of signal are you sending to your motor for control?

I believe that an event triggered acquisition may not be the right way to go about this problem. If the main goal of this application is to simply track how many times the motor turned on and retrigger your temperature acquisition, I suggest you set up a simple AI task for your temperature sensors and have it trigger our data acquisition when the motor turns on. You can then have a conditional to stop your acquisition (i.e. when temperature exceeds an upper limit or motor stops?) and increment a software count in your program. Since you say that the motor will turn off for a couple of seconds, this should give you enough time to restart the task and wait for the next trigger to occur.

This is just one possibility of developing this application, but please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

S_Hong
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,469 Views)