From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a normal user run a LV program that changes the registry?

I'm writing software using Labview 7.1 for data aquisition. It will allow users to logon with a user name and password, and depending on their status they may or may not be able to adjust the calibration settings. To store information, I've created registry entries. The problem however, is that a non-administrative user cannot run the program without error since they don't have administrative priveledges and registry access is denied. Is there a way to designate the program itself as having registry acces but not the user? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,320 Views)
Hi CollegeGuy,

When running a LabVIEW VI or application, it will inherit the rights of the user running it. Therefore you cannot choose to let the VI or application have special assigned rights that supersede the rights of the current user.

As a workaround, you might consider creating your own custom configuration file using the Configuration File VIs instead of accessing the Windows Registry DB.

Let me know if you have further questions, thanks!
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,305 Views)