Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating a Digital pulse train for triggering camera and syncing analog I/O

Hi, 

I have the following components:

1. NI PCI-6713 connected to a BNC-2110 
2. cDAQ 9174 + NI 9205 + NI 9264.

I want to generate a digital pulse train at a 30 Hz. and feed that signal as a trigger signal into a camera. Moreover, I would like to use this digital pulse as a timing signal to acquire and write data using the NI 9205 and NI 9264.

It looks like only the PCI-6713 has a counter in it (since NI-MAX only shows that device when I try to setup a task). I wanted to know
a. How to access the signal on the BNC 2110, so I can wire it to my camera.
b. How to access the signal internally so it can be used for timing Analog I/O (any Labview examples would be really helpful!)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,616 Views)

Hello ashenoy,

Here is an example to generate a digital signal using an analog I/O http://www.ni.com/example/26621/en/, the signal you need is pretty slow so it will be fine. It seems the PCI-6713 has 2 counters if that's helpful as well.

For accessing the signal on the BNC 2110 is the same I/O that you set in the code.

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,557 Views)

Hi Pedro, 

Thanks for your reply.

Can you let me know how to access the counter on the BNC (i.e. which BNC socket)? I think using the counter would be more robust. Is there a way I can control the frequency of the pulse generated by the counter? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,553 Views)

ashenoy, take a look at LabVIEW examples by going to Help -> Find examples -> Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Counter Output. You can choose PFI (this is labeled on the BNC) as well as in the code, for this BNC you have 2 counters output in BNC form or you can output them using wires in the screw connection. You also choose the rate, duty cicle and if you want to have a trigger.

This link is very good when you are starting with DAQmx http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/2835/en/

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,545 Views)