From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency steps on analog output sampling rate settings

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am working with a NI-USB-6251 board and have the problem, that I can set the analog out sampling frequency in steps only - so if I set it to 300 kHz it will run with 298507,462687 Hz.

The problem is, that I need to sample out some predefined waveforms (created with a certain sampling rate) and due to the frequency shift og the output I get a streched or compressed waveform out.

Does somebody know why it is like that? I have attched a screenshot from a set-get-loop to show better what I mean.

Thanks,

Sven

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,746 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sdudeck

The way the clocks work in most DAQ systems is you have a base clock and then you apply a divider to get the desired sample rate.  In the case of the 6251, it appears to be using a 20MHz base clock which is divided by 67 to get 298.507kHz.  In your case, this will give a 0.5% timing error.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(2,731 Views)

If you need extreme absolute accuracy, you should use an external clock that is phase locked to whatever is generating your source waveform.  If you don't, you will never be perfectly synchronized because of the finite resolution of the PLL generating your sampling clock, and because of the limited accuracy of the crystal oscillator driving the PLL.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,722 Views)

Thank you very much for the fast response.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,706 Views)

Luckily we do not need extreme accuracy. We were just wondering why our outputted signals were shifted in frequency. But with the above knowledge we can just adapt our analysis to the minimal lower frequencies.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,703 Views)

You can do a resampling (vi's are provided by NI) if needed.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,687 Views)