From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 88705 with a USB-6366 DAQ

Hi there

I just installed a NI-DAQmx 9.2.2 on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. 

The device(s) we are using are USB-6366.

When i go to MAX i can see the Device, but the serial number always displays 0x0 and the SelfTest returns with the 88705 error. 

I've searched the forums, deleted the Data Folder under Application Data, no Luck.

I also unsinstalled all NI - Software and reinstalled it, no luck. I tried this with 9.01, 9.2.2, 9.3.

I also set the Recovery options of the NI Device loader Sevice to "Restart", still no luck.

The problem seems to be related to the nidevldu  since it refuses to be stopped or restarted.

On the machine we have several other USB-attached Measurement Devices (Agilent, LeCroy and Tektronix), so it is quite possible that one of those

is interferring.

We have this setup 7 times (mobile measurement stations), so just reinstalling windows from scratch is not an option.

Are there useful logs which could indicate what the cause of the problem is or what next steps could i possibly take?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 35
(9,183 Views)

Hello,

I have a possible solution to propose you:

This error message is returned because the NI Device Loader Windows Service (or 'nidevldu') is not running.

To properly start the service and ensure that the service is always started at startup follow these directions:

1. Go to Start » Control Panel » Administrative Tools » Services
  2. Right click on NI Device Loader Service (may be listed as 'nidevldu')
  3. Select Properties
  4. Set the startup type as Automatic
  5. Click the Start button.

I hope this helps. 

Regards

Message 2 of 35
(9,168 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I tried this before already. The service has the state "started" .

If i try to restart it however, it fails to stop, staying in the state "stopping" forever. 

I'm sure the issue has to do with the NI device Loader service (nidevldu), not running properly. But i don't know 

what keeps it from working. As i mentioned, setting the recovery options of the service to "restart" doesn't help and a new installation did not help

either. 

Does anyone know if devldu writes a log file i could analyze?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 35
(9,164 Views)

Hello again,

Have you try to unplug all your USB devices, restart your computer and then plug only your DAQ? Try this, and tell me if under this circumstances you are still getting the same error. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 35
(9,161 Views)

Hello Carmen

Well besides the keyboard and the mouse and a USB - Hub, the other USB devices are plugged in but turned off.

I can try to unplug them completely on monday when i'm back at the lab. I did however already try to plug the NI-DAQ into another USB slot which did not help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 35
(9,157 Views)

I am telling you this, because I had a similar problem, and it was due to an USB hub. I will search for other possible workarounds, I will post them as I found them. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 35
(9,154 Views)

Hi Carmen

Now that i am back at the lab, i did as you advised me, unplugged all the usb devices (besides keyboard and mouse) and rebooted the machine. 

Sadly it didn't change a thing.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 35
(9,142 Views)

Hi again,

Try to install the lastest DAQ-mx (9.4) and also upgrade your MAX. 

Have you ever succeed using your USB-6366 DAQ or you were never able to pass the self-test? When did you start having those problems? Did you modifiy something in your computer?

Can you install MAX and DAQ-mx in other computer to see if your device can pass the self-test in other machine?

I am waiting for your answer. Have a nice day. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 35
(9,136 Views)

I did uninstall ALL NI Software again and tried with DAQ-mx 9.4, the problem persists.

One thing was remarkable: The uninstallation failed on the first attempt, it could not stop the services. I booted to save mode, disabled all NI services and then uninstalled NI software which suceeded.

The Installation of DAQ-mx 9.4 went fine, all NI services have the state "Started" but the error persists (88705 on selftest).

Yes, after installing the DAQ software the first time i tested it and the selftest passed. I then installed the other device drivers and applications.

When i recently tried to use the NI-DAQ it failed the selftest.

I cannot tell after what software installation it stopped working, and that is exactly my main issue, i have no idea what interfers.

However, the DAQs are intended to be part of the measurement system, not a standalone thing. 

The device does pass selftest on another machine, it clearly is a software issue and several things point to the problem being the Device Loader service (it is in the state "started" but refuses to be stopped or restarted).

Is there no possiblity to make the Services write some verbose log which my point to the source of the error?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 35
(9,129 Views)

Hi again, 

I am back with other thing to try: 

How Do I Clean a Corrupted Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) Database and Start With a New One?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/86256F0E001DA9FF86256FFD005B827C?OpenDocument

Hope this finally solve your problem. 

Keep me posted. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 35
(9,126 Views)