From 08:00 PM CDT Friday, August 12 - 01:00 PM CDT Saturday, August 13, ni.com will be undergoing system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -10403 for PCI-6503 card, WinXP

Hi,

I just started to learn DAQ, and found this error msg constantly showing up when I was trying the example codes.

"Error -10403 occurred at AO Group Config. Possible reasons: NI-DAQ LV: The specified device does not support the requested action (the driver recognizes the device, but the action is inappropriate for the device)." Since this error msg pops up every time, I haven't been able to run any vi yet.

I went to MAX, and tried to configure the channels, but there is only device number option, no channel config option.

Can anybody point out a solution? Thanks.

Exia

Environment:

Windows XP sp3/Win2000 sp4

Labview 5.1.1

NI-DAQ 6.9.3

MAX 2.2.0.3010

PCI-6503

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,428 Views)

Configuring AI (analog input) or AO (analog output) won't work for a device that supports only digital I/O, such as your PCI-6503. The 'Digital I/O Function Group' section in Chapter 3 of the Traditional NI-DAQ User Manual might be useful.

Is using a version of LabVIEW later than 5.1 an option? I would recommend using NI-DAQmx for new development unless you need to use Traditional NI-DAQ (for instance if you have a preexisting application written against the Traditional NI-DAQ APIs), but unfortunately according to the compatibility chart you would need at least LabVIEW 7.0 to do so.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,414 Views)

We got some old programs running based on even older versions, so the upgrade seems not likely though.

My project was previously running on a Lab-PC 1200AI card, that old PC died and it is not easy to find a ISA equiped computer nowadays. Are there any economical alternatives to Lab-PC 1200AI with either PCI or PCI express interface? and also compatible with labview 5.1.1

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,405 Views)

Functionally speaking, the PCI-6025E E Series DAQ is probably the closest match:

* Lab-PC 1200/AI: 8SE/4Diff, 12-bit, 100kS/s AI; no AO; 24 DIO lines; 3 8MHz counters.

* PCI-6025E: 16SE/8Diff, 12-bit, 200kS/s AI; 2 12-bit AO; 32 DIO lines; 2 20MHz counters.

The PCI-6025E is supported in both Traditional NI-DAQ and DAQmx. The Lab-PC 1200/AI and 6025E use different connectors (50-pin male ribbon connector vs a 100-pin female D-type), so your cabling will have to change. The 6025E also has one less counter than the Lab-PC 1200/AI, so if you're depending on that then it may not be a fit.

Looking forward, anything newer than E Series (such as M Series or X Series) is going to be supported only in NI-DAQmx, so I do recommend you at least consider upgrading your existing software to use NI-DAQmx in the future. NI-DAQmx provides easier APIs, ease-of-use features such as the DAQ Assistant, and better multithreaded performance than Traditional NI-DAQ; a FAQ is available that further compares the two.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,398 Views)