From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equivalent functions -versions 6.0 and 8.5

The functions listed below are being used in version 6.0.      Can someone tell me what the equivalent functions of the following are in LabVIEW version 8.5?

AO Write

AO Write One Update

AO Start

AO Clear

AO Config 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,176 Views)

If you install the traditional DAQ driver, you have the same functions in 8.5. If you are converting to the current driver, DAQmx, then the first two are done with variations of DAQmx Write, AO Start would be similar to using both DAQmx Timing and DAQmx Start Task, AO Clear would be similar to DAQmx Clear Task, and AO Config is similar to a DAQmx Create Channel function. There's not an exact correspondence so you need to understand what the old DAQ program is doing and how DAQmx works.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,172 Views)

I am using DAQmx with the latest drivers installed. 

All the AO functions have task ID in and out while the corresponding functions in DAQmx have Task in and out. How can I replace the old functions with new ones without altering functionality?

I am new to LabVIEW and cannot figure out stuff soon enough.  Is there any resource that explains the differences between old DAQ and the new DAQmx in terms of changed LabVIEW functions? And can I get such examples ( as .vi files) somewhere?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,148 Views)

I already gave you the main resource. The first link is the DAQmx FAQ and the FAQ has quite a bit of information including a tutorial that describes the differences/similarities and talks about something called the Traditional NI-DAQ Compatability VIs.

There a large number of example DAQmx VIs that come with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,145 Views)

Here are some jewels that can be found within the link Dennis already provided:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3021

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2835

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,143 Views)

Thanks for the links.

NI example files that were running recently have started showing errors after I opened the v6.0 file in v8.5 and v8.6 (see attached)  . I guess this is because of improper file saving or cross-linking.  Can you post these files for both 8.5 and 8.6 so that I can replace the wrongly-saved ones?

Error code database.vi

Simple error handler.vi

General error handler.vi 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,114 Views)
Close all the 6.0 files and open the 8.5/8.6 example. If you still have errors, do a repair of your LabVIEW installation. If you don't have an error, then it sounds like the 6.0 file might have been saved into an llb and whoever saved it, also saved files from vi.lib. Look at the contents of the llb and remove all VIs from vi.lib.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,111 Views)