Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emulate SPI device with Multifunction Reconfigurable I/O Devices: Maximum SPI clock speed ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a PXIe-7846: Doc says Maximum Sample Rate: 500 kS/s:

Does this means I cannot emulate a SPI peripheral running at a clock speed of 1 MHz?

What is the maximum SPI clock speed that I can expect to handle with this device?

I may need to take multiple samples per half period to get good enough edge detection resolution (e.g. 10 sample per period ==> 500 KS/s / 10 ==> only handle SPI clock speed up to 50 KHz ?) This is strangely low considering the FPGA can run at 80 MHz. Am I understanding this correctly ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(840 Views)

Regarding the IO your assumption seems correct.

Regarding the FPGA, it could in fact go faster than 80 MHz.  I do not think there are FPGAs that go slower.  The benefit of an FPGA clocking at a rate higher than IO is that sometimes the processing needs more cycles that the IO.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 2 of 4
(825 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FrankBrown

Hi. 500kS/s is referring to Analog Input.

1MS/s for analog output.

And 10MSps for DIO(at MIO connector) due to signal integrity. 

And 80MSps for DIO at DIO connector. 

https://www.artisantg.com/TestMeasurement/96521-1/National-Instruments-PXIe-7846-PXIe-7846R-R-Series...

So your intuition and logic are correct! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(815 Views)

I was able to emulate a SPI Peripheral that communicated in full-duplex with a TotalPhase Aardvark Controller talking SPI at 4 MHz. I was able to to set the response data MISO with a latency of only 40 ns after detecting a falling edge on SCK.

Final thoughts:
I think my cable lengths are too long because my setup fails at 8 MHz. Maybe that for higher clock speeds the USB-7846 would have been better because it could have been embedded closer to the device under test and thus have shorted wires, or maybe a SBRIO but not sure about the performance.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(781 Views)