Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elvis Prototyping board does not work on newer PC:s

Hello all,

Our school is experiencing a problem with the ELVIS Prototyping board. When installed on any of our newer computers, the following error appears:

"Error 9312 occurred at ELVIS COMM- Check ELVIS Connection.vi

NI ELVIS: Parity error during communications with NI ELVIS benchtop workstation. Cycle power to benchtop workstation to reconfigure software settings"

ELVIS is recognized as Dev1:PCI-6251 and Communication is estabilished succesfully when check-button is pressed. However, the same error appears again on exit.

Specs: Windows XP SP3, LabView 7.0, ELVIS 2.0.5. ELVIS S/N: E01X007F0

With older computers such as FujitsuSiemens Scenic (Pentium4) this works just fine. All newer Dell and HP computers (Core2, Core i5) seem to have problems with the communication. We have several ELVIS:es so hardware problem has been outruled (also the boards work fine in any older PC).

Has anybody else experienced this problem? This situation is a bit problematic as we should upgrade our laboratory computers but if the ELVIS does not work, we have to set up additional older computers for ELVIS use only.

I'm a computer support technician with little knowledge about NI stuff. Can anybody verify a working setup, maybe with newer LabView and ELVIS software? However, as the prototyping boards are of older models, it makes it impossible to use newest version available? Any input on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Cou

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,820 Views)

I was contacted by National Instruments help, who provided me with a solution. The problem seems to occur because the computers' processors are too fast. There is a patch available, but it will only work in Labview 7.1. So the possible solutions follow: 1. keep the old computers

2. upgrade to Labview 7.1 and apply the patch to the new computers

Hopefully this post helps somebody else with their problem. Unfortunately, at the moment I do not know the exact location of the said patch. Maybe somebody else can link the appropriate file to this post.

I tried to downscale a new computer (3.2 GHz i3 -> 1.6 GHz Single Core) via bios but it did not help. Maybe it has something to do with the processor architecture rather than actual clock speed...

Cou

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,815 Views)