Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver/Setup for at-mio-16 (not 16E, 16X, etc)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, Ni Community!

I was just looking for some help in getting my NI AT-MIO-16 daq card. As far as I understand right now (still learning quite a bit), there is very little info or driver software available out there for this DAQ card. Does any know if I need the driver to get this card to function? If so, where I can get it? I've tried as far back as NI-DAQ 4.8.5 but could not find the AT-MIO-16 driver when trying to add the hardware. Is there something I should have known when trying to install this specific card? For added info, I am trying to install the card into an old system that supports ISA and runs windows 95. I've tried installing it several times, I've had a lot of success with the AT-MIO-16E-10, but none with the AT-MIO-16. Any sort of help or advice on what to do to get this card functioning is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen Abraham

Cheers,
Stephen Abraham
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,394 Views)

Not sure of that specific board, but especially if it's ISA it may pre-date plug-and-play (which came to PC's with Win 95).  The *really* old boards required setting up physical jumpers on the board to set interrupts and address space and there was some further manual work to do to configure the PC to match.  Sorry, can't recall details better than that.

My vague memory is that NI-DAQ v4.x probably comes from a time where it's liable to support the board, but maybe only after you do the manual configuration I referred to.  Can't say that with great confidence though.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,373 Views)

Haha yeah, this would be one of those *really* old boards, I set the I/O address, DMA, and interrupts already on the physical board. When I tried using the at-mio-16X driver to work with the at-mio-16, I managed to find out that those resources were will free, but sadly because it was for a different DAQ device, it did not work out. By any chance do you think the further manual work would be allocating the computer resources to the DAQ device?

I'm sorry but, what you mean by "NI-DAQ v4.x probably comes from a time where it's liable to support the board"? Sorry, just a little confused by the liable to support the board part. When I looked at the contents of the NI-DAQ 4.8.5 install, I discovered it had an assortment of drivers I could install without the physical hardware present in the add new hardware module of the control panel. Is there a chance the reason I can't seem to find this driver anywhere is that the driver type for this board is not one I simply install rather, I complete the resource configuration and it will in sort of auto install? Thanks for the info so far! Also, sorry for the bombardment of questions, just new and curious to DAQ and NI equipment

Cheers,

Stephen Abraham

Cheers,
Stephen Abraham
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,363 Views)

My vague comments are because of my vague memory.  I don't have any recollection of NI-DAQ 3.anything, so I thought it might have been at version 4.something at my first exposure, roughly 1996-97-ish.  Since plug and play was still pretty new then, I figured NI was probably still supporting the older boards with jumpers for a while.

So, I do think you're on the right track when you ask about "allocating the computer resources to the DAQ device".   I'm not sure whether that's *all* you need to do, but I'm pretty sure it's a necessary part.

Sorry, I have no particular recollection of the "add new hardware" module in the control panel.  I simply don't remember either way.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,358 Views)

Ahh, I see. At least now, I know I'm not going in the wrong direction entirely. Thanks for the advice and re-assurance!

cheers,

Stephen Abraham

Cheers,
Stephen Abraham
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,355 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author woudie

I think this manual can help: ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/manuals/320476.pdf

You need to also check which version of the AT-MIO-16 you have: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0F3C3E14C060DFF08625661E0057DD2D?OpenDocument

If you post it here, I can find the corresponding driver.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,322 Views)

Just found another thing that can be useful:

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/6919/en/

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/traditionalnidaq/6.9.3/readme.htm

From both links it is clear that the latest NI-DAQ software that will support your card is Traditional DAQ (NI-DAQ) 6.1.

Most links don't work, but you can find it here: ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/daq/pc/ni-daq/6.1/

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,321 Views)

Hey stockson!

thank you so much for the suggestion, it ended up being the solution I was looking for. I didn't release the the "at-mio-16" driver itself didn't exist, rather the at-mio-16L-9 (the one I was looking for) did. When I read over the manual I never saw it mention that I needed to reference the build number to find the correct driver, haha.. 

Thanks again!

- Stephen

Cheers,
Stephen Abraham
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,296 Views)

Happy to help!

I am glad you made it work!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,286 Views)

Hi Stockson,

By any chance, do you know where I can get labview 6.0, labwindows/cvi 6.0? or just any labview/labwindows version that works with ni-daq 4.9 or ni-daq 6.1? I've searched all over NI site and can only find upgrades for the, and even emailed NI to sadly find out they were not available. Any assistance in that matter is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Stephen Abraham

Cheers,
Stephen Abraham
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,280 Views)