From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does MyDAQ outputs have short circuit protection?

Hi,

the +-15 V and the +-5 Volt power supply of the "MyDAQ" is limited according to the datasheet to 500 mW. I am using the power supply for some photoelectric fork sensors. All in all I will come close to the 500 mW. During the setup of our electrical circuits, I can´t promise, that there wont be any short circuits. The Question: Does the DAQ card has a protection for short circuits or can a short circuit at one of the outputs destroy the MyDAQ?

Thanx very much for Answers!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,215 Views)

Hello,

I don't understand fully your question. What should be there any shortcircuit in your setup?

What are you connecting to your DAQ?

Are you using the analog or digital port?

Here you can read more information about the current limitation used in MyDAQ:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-NI/Power-Supply-Protection-myDaq/m-p/1409626

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,196 Views)

Hi Carmen,

thanx for your reply! I will use the analog input for measuring the voltage of a sensor as well as the digital input for measuring the speed of a turning part with a photoelectric fork sensor. To supply the fork photoelectric fork sensor with power, i will use the +5 V power supply of MyDAQ. 

If I understood it correctly, the current will be limited if the +15 or the +5 V power supply unfortunately makes a shortcircuit to the GND?

I was only afraid that in the case of a shortcircuit of the MyDAQ Power supply, that my expensive device will be damaged if I make a mistake in the setup.

Thanx again, Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,178 Views)

Hi again,

The +15V and -15V power rails are limited to 38mA and the +5V rail is limited to 100mA. So, you have to make sure that the device you are going to power with the myDAQ source won't exceed those limits (won't consume more than those amps). If you think that those limits can be exceeded, I recommend you to power your setup with an external power supply.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,172 Views)