Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do digital I/O ports in PXI 6025E support hardware timing?

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to use the digital lines for tasks with sample clock timing which require hardware timing.

Does PXI 6025E have this capability?

If yes, can each port be independently configured with different sample clock timings at the same time?

If not, which device would be a good alternative having ports independently configurable?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,874 Views)

I think I need more information.  Could you describe your intended application more?  If it's a matter of amount of data sampled I think you would be able to use the maximum sample clock ability of the card and decimate accordingly. However if it's a matter of synchronizing digital inputs across all lines you would probably need to look into getting a newer card.

Regards,

Isaac S.

Regards,
Isaac S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,859 Views)

Hi Isaac-S,

I need to synchronize digital outputs across all lines.

The program that I'm trying to implement reads a file with times that some digital channel changes in the sequence, and the respective state for all channels. Then it creates a task for some digital line with a sample clock sourced by some ctr0InternalOutput. This digital line will 'tick' at those times, and will be the source (externally connected) of a sample clock for all the other channels.

Additionally, since it is not possible to use different sample clocks for lines in the same port (I think), the 'sample ticker' will require an entire port.

When running the program with a simulated PXI-6025E, it says that the sample clock request is not supported, and I think that it's because the digital I/O in this card doesn't support hardware timing.

I tried with a simulated PXI-6259, and it worked, but only with port0. So I am thinking in getting this one instead. I also have a Digital I/O card (PXI-6534), which has 4 ports. So I would use the latter to produce the 'sample ticker'.

Do you think this would work for me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,852 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rfs

The PXI-6259 does support digital hardware timing.  It only worked on port 0 because that is how M-Series devices are designed.  As long as you have enough digital channels on port 0 for your application this device should work.  Also here's an article on how to search for the specifications you are inquiring about.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/08F477754D0535CE862570020007142C?OpenDocument

Regards,

Isaac S.

Regards,
Isaac S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,838 Views)