Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device identifier is invalid error 200220

I developed a program on one computer using LabView 8, DAQmx 8 and a USB-6008 device. It worked fine at my desk. Then I save the program as a project sent it acroos the street to our shop, took the device over there plugged it in and tried to run the program. I got a 200220 Device identifier is invalid error. When I pull up MAX I can see the device and if I build a tsk on that computer for that device it runs fine but it will not run the program that I brought over from my desk computer. Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

TIA
George
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,003 Views)
Anyone have a clue? Help please!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,981 Views)
Hi George-

Does the device name in MAX on the deployment system match that of the development system exactly?  They must both be "Dev1" or whatever is appropriate.  If so, are you creating that tasks/channels programmatically or within the MAX interface?  A portion of your code would be helpful to look at.  If you can get screenshots of the NI-DAQmx Devices and Data Neighborhood trees from MAX that would also help.
Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,980 Views)

Bingo!

My development computer has another (virtual) device on it that I put there to train with while I was waiting for my USB device to be delivered. So the USB-6008 was Dev2 on my development computer and Dev1 on my deployment computer.

Makes perfect sense now that you pointed it out to me.Smiley Surprised Thanks Tom!!

George

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,972 Views)

Hi George-

I'm glad I could help out- it's always the little things that create snags in your projects.  Let us know if you run into anything elseSmiley Happy

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,973 Views)
Dear Tom and Geroge ,
I am having the same problem but the only differnce is that I am new to Labview, I am using some examples from "Hardware I/P and O/P> DAQmx" they give me the same error. I am using PXI-6259(M-series). How can I remove this problem and communicate with the device.
I read Tom's answer but was unable to understand.
Tom's Reply:

Does the device name in MAX on the deployment system match that of the development system exactly?  They must both be "Dev1" or whatever is appropriate.  If so, are you creating that tasks/channels programmatically or within the MAX interface?  A portion of your code would be helpful to look at.  If you can get screenshots of the NI-DAQmx Devices and Data Neighborhood trees from MAX that would also help."

1)What is the Development system. How can I know if both are Device1 or whatever is appropriate.
2)I am using examples for LABVIEW.

Thank you ,
Sincerely
Munir Afzal Bhatti

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,919 Views)

Munir,

I'm sure some of the other can better answer your question as I too am a LabView newbie, but I'll tell you what I know.

1)What is the Development system. How can I know if both are Device1 or whatever is appropriate.
 My development system was my desk computer, I used another PC out in the shop as a deployment computer to attach my DAQ device and run my program.

2)I am using examples for LABVIEW.

The examples are code that someone wrote on another machine so the device that they specify might not be the same as the one on your machine.

In my case my USB device that I was using as my DAQ was named Dev2 on the computer at my desk that I wrote the program on. However when I took the DAQ device down to the computer in my shop to run the program it was named Dev1 because there were no other devices on that computer. There was no Dev2 on the shop computer so when I tried to run the code it crashed as it could not find a Dev2 to get the data signals from.

Tom's request of "If you can get screenshots of the NI-DAQmx Devices and Data Neighborhood trees from MAX that would also help."
 would be a good place for you to start.

I hope this helps

George
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,911 Views)
My lab computer had a failed hard drive so I had to get a new hard drive.  When Labview was installed, I copied a backup on an old file onto the new hard drive and tried run it through Labview (the computer is the very same one the program ws written on, only difference being a new hard drive). There are two DAQ devices on this computer one for voltage one for current.  When I opened the devices in block diagram and tested them, I got the 200220 error on both as well as 200477 error.  I was wondering if I had to define the devices in a specific way ie device 1=voltage device 2=current or something like that.  If possible, would someone direct me to a easily understood solution/source of solution (I'm a new user).

Thanks.

Sincerely yours,

Hang Yu
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,858 Views)
Hi George,

1)Thanx a lot for ur answer, I want to know how can I change the order of the devices, From Dev1 to Dev2 and vice versa?
2)I am sending u a pic. of the screen shot,  the max. shows the card the chassis , but how can I assign a channel, in the examples I use, as whe i try to make a channel i get the message , no supported devices found.

Can u give any suggestion on what I should do?
Thank u
Munir

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,878 Views)
Munir

1)Thanx a lot for ur answer, I want to know how can I change the order of the devices, From Dev1 to Dev2 and vice versa?
You can change the name in MAX by right clicking the device and choosing "Rename"

2)I am sending u a pic. of the screen shot,  the max. shows the card the chassis , but how can I assign a channel, in the examples I use, as whe i try to make a channel i get the message , no supported devices found.
The pic didn't show up

George
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,872 Views)