Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine if a device is primarily a thermocouple device?

This should be a simple question and I also wasn't quite sure which forum to put it in but... can anyone tell me a good way to tell if a device is primarily a thermocouple device, like a USB-9211A? A USB-9215 will cheerfully report that it can do thermocouple measurements but I want to identify devices that are intended for it.

I can just simply try to start a task using the built in CJC and if it errors, consider it not a TC device, but I don't love this approach; I can also just check against a list of device types, but that's not very future proof. Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,138 Views)

Hi there, 

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this?

National Instruments primary thermocouple devices have smaller voltage input ranges and CJC for higher accuracy measurements. Regarding a property that identifies it as a thermocouple device, I am not aware of one. This KB gives an example of getting device information. If you need to programmatically determine this, I would compare device information to a list of known devices.  

Clint T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,107 Views)

Hi,

Okay, known devices approach will work fine and shouldn't really require a bunch of tweaking.

We've always supported -10 to 10V devices but are adding thermocouple support. In general, if our users have a device like a 9215, they *probably* want to measure voltage, and if they have a device like a 9211, they *probably* want temperature, and I want to make this as automatic as possible. This is just to avoid writing UI code as much as possible 🙂

Thank you,

Micah

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,101 Views)