Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Descriptions on Scales in NIMAX

I put a lot of information that is important to my sensor in the description. Inoticed with the new update to NImax 4.6.1f I believe that I no longer have scale decriptions. Is NI moving away from allowing us to store data in these scales or is this some thing that I can fix?
Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,749 Views)
I can't check with 4.6.1f. But the Description tab is still present in MAX 4.6.2f1.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,730 Views)

Hi aeastet,

There is no reports on my side of this happening to our customers.  I can verify that the Description tab in custom scales still exists in MAX version 4.6.2.  I would suggest reinstalling one of your hardware drivers (if you have a corrupted install of MAX 4.6.1) or upgrading to a newer hardware driver (to obtain MAX 4.6.2).  MAX is included with driver packages, for example our DAQmx driver.  

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,721 Views)

Hi aeastet,

Can I get more information from you regarding what you are seeing in MAX 4.6.1?  How do you normally enter a description for your sensors?  Are you trying to export your database from your previous MAX to this one?  If you can provide an export file of your MAX configuration, that would help troubleshooting here.  Let me know, thank you.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,691 Views)

In 4.6.1 I see the decription tab when I go to a scale. When I moved that scale or opened it on another computer running 4.6.2f. I see the tab momentarily then the tab goes away. I can no longer programmicly access the information that I used to stor in the scale decription.

I am using the VI and property nodes that can with LabVIEW to access this information just like I have beeen doing since LabView6i. This is a very recent thing where I no longer am able to access this information.

I am currently working on a replacement of this anyway. I have grown tired of the changes that constanly happen in MAX that will break my code every time I upgrade. This was just the last push to get me to fix this the right way. I guess that is what I get for letting LabVIEW (National Instruments) handle my important information. Thanks for the help but I will fix this my own way and move away from anything other than a name in MAX.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,689 Views)
I tried recreating your scenario by downloading DAQmx 9.0.1 and MAX 4.6.1 on a Windows Vista test machine.  I created a custom scale on an analog input task and entered in text, and exported the scale data to a .nce file.  I then imported that data on another machine with Windows XP, DAQmx 9.1, and MAX 4.6.2.  After the import, it allowed me to look at the description tab through MAX and it did not disappear.  Is there something I am missing with this setup?  It may have something to do with programmatically accessing the Descriptions tab, or exporting/importing from MAX.  If you wouldn't mind including a small portion of your code that writes to the scales description, I can try it on my side.  I am unsure why you are seeing your behavior and I apologize for the frustration it is causing. 
Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,672 Views)

I have been meaning to move out of NIMAX for years. I have someone working on a more perminenant solution already. I am not going to spend anymore time trying to figure out why. I am just going to move ahead with a better solution for me.

Thanks for the help.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,664 Views)

We experienced this same issue a lot about two years ago and were told to update NI-MAX, which we did.  The problem appeared to be solved (or at least go away), but it has turned up again in NI-MAX 14.5 ... is there a resolution for this?  I had provided a lot of information to NI support about it but did not hear anything.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,099 Views)

Hi Rick_J.

We are sorry for the inconveniences, I found a couple of Service Requests that I think might be yours describing this issue. I have not found other customers with this same issue in recent Service Requests, so I would like to know if this is something that you have seen consistently in the same computer or if this is something you have found in different systems. 

Versions of OS and other software involved like the driver would be useful as well. Have you noticed if this is triggered by something in particular?

All the information you can provide would be useful to understand this behavior.

WenR

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,061 Views)