From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dasylab v12 - E-Mail Module

Hi,

In the scope of a continous and long term measurement, I would like to use Dasylab E-Mail module to send regularly an email (once a week) by SMTP method with the current status of my mesurements... I have already found some old  discussions about E-Mail module and I didn't have my answer. I think it's not possible with Gmail and my test doesn't work (e-mail serveur smtp.gmail.com / e-mail port 567, error message: the e-mail coulnd not be sent. The actual sending has caused an error). Which email server can I use ? Is there a possibility to get a status to push directly in the e-mail content ?

Thank you in advance and best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,831 Views)

Hello,

The DASYLAB email module does not offer the possibility to transfer TLS-encrypted data via SMTP. As the Gmail server accepts only TLS-encrypted data, it will not process your email request.

If you do want to check the authentication methods allowed by an email server, you can use (for instance) the command “telnet” (the Telnet service is disabled by default on the recent version of Windows, you might need to activate this functionality manually) and open a Telnet session on the email server (ex: “open smtp.gmail.com”). Type “ehlo localhost” and the server will tell you which authentication method it accepts.

I checked a few email servers here in France, but couldn’t find any that supports CRAM-MD5. Some allows unencrypted data, but all my tests were unsuccessful and I never got the email from DASYLAB.

You can carry out your own tests; keep in mind the following port allocations:

• Port 25 is for unsecured;
  • Port 465 or 587 are SSL and TLS-secured.

(NB: The port you mention, 567 is allocated only for TCP)

If no email server works, I would suggest you use a safer and simpler option to configure your watchdog:

• Write the output of your code (or the report) in an external file;
  • Define a scheduled task on your machine (assuming you work on Windows, this can be very easily done with Windows Task Scheduler) that will open sendEmail (see next point) on a regular basis;
  • Configure sendEmail (a command-line email) so that it joins the report to the email. Note that sendEmail allows TLS-secured transactions.

Then, you can simply update the output file each time you plan to send an email.

You can download sendEmail from the official webpageRyan Dube's webpage gives a quite comprehensive description of the configuration you can set up with the Task Scheduler + sendEmail. The tests I carried out were successful, although GMAIL notified me that it doesn’t really like automatic connections to the mailbox…

Don’t hesitate to confirm you managed to configure your watchdog and send us some feedback.

Best regards,

Pierre-Emmanuel BELLES
Certified LabVIEW Developper
Certified TestStand Architect

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,767 Views)