Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx list devices including block diagram

Hallo,

I use NI-6009 and NI-6501 at one computer with an USB-Hub. Sometimes the definitions of "Dev1" and "Dev2" change and I have problems with my software, because LabVIEW does not find the analog input channels. Is there a possibility to implement the tool "List devices"?
It has no block diagram and not a VI, but an .exe file. Are there any other possibilities to read in LabVIEW which device has the name "Dev1" or "Dev2"?

Thx,

Benne

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(4,432 Views)

Benne,

I have a VI which I have written which will list both device names as well as their product types.  You should be able to use something like this to associate the device names with the functionality you need.  I have attached this VI.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,424 Views)
Dan,

thank you VERY much. This is exactly what I need. By the way you showed me how to use property nodes...;-)

All the best to you.

Benne
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(4,418 Views)
Hallo Dan,

sorry Dan, I think I  was too early happy. I thought it would work, but it does not. I use DAQmx Base 2.0. Is is necessary to use DAQmx 7 or 8, because the name of the property node is DAQmx System and not DAQmx Base System?

Thx

Benne

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(4,392 Views)

Benne,

Yes, unfortunantly I believe that these may be properties that are available in DAQmx, but not DAQmx base (I'm not an expert with DAQmx base).  Are you working on a platform where DAQmx is not supported?  If not, I would highly recommend that you use DAQmx.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(4,385 Views)
Hi Dan,

I installes Ni-Daq 8, but it is also not working...
In the list of provided devices is an entry:

• NI USB-6009 (does not have NI-DAQmx simulated device capability)
  • NI USB-6501 (does not have NI-DAQmx simulated device capability)
Does this mean, that it is not possible to use your VI?

Thank you

Benjamin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(4,382 Views)

Benne,

The VI should work whether the devices support simulation or not.  It will basically list all device names found on your system, as well as their product type.  If you are familiar with simulation, it is simply the ability to tell DAQmx that there are devices present which actually are not.  Since these devices cannot be simulated, the VI will only work for these devices when the devices are connected to your computer.  When they are connected , you should be able to search the array of device types ('Array') for the device you need, then look back at the DevNames array at the same index to determine which device name corresponds to the device you need.

I'm not sure I've understood your last question correctly.  If I have not, please let me know, and I will do my best to answer your question.

Hope this helps,
Dan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(4,377 Views)
Dan,

teh problem is that your VI does not give me information even if my USB devices are connected to the computer. It makes no error, but gives only an empty array. The software that comes with the USB devices is Daqmx base and not Daqmx. Perhaps the devices don´t support the Daqmx very well.

Thank you

Benne
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(4,372 Views)
Benne,

I just had a thought on your problem.  When switching from DAQmx Base to DAQmx, you must specify which driver is active for your device.  Is it possible that DAQmx Base is still active for these devices?  I found this discussion which describes how to select which driver you would like to use with these devices:

Let me know if this helps,
Dan
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(4,367 Views)
Dan,

thank you very much for your time.
When I open the Measurement & A- Manager 4 the device is shown. But when I execute your VI, the arrays are empty. I am totally demoralised.
i use LabVIEW 7, and you?
Greets,

Benjamin
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(4,363 Views)