Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx 9.1.1 and 9.2.0 are not compatible with Win7 bit, but 9.0.0 is?

I initially installed DAQmx 9.1.1 on Win7 64-bit Ultimate and plugged in a PCIe-6361 card, system works fine. Then I plugged in a PCI-6133 card, unfortunately, MAX didn't recognize it. I then tried to plug a USB-6251 card, MAX still didn't recognize it. Even after I totally removed all installed NI components and reinstalled 9.1.1, the same problem existed. Assuming the upgraded version could solved this, I downloaded the latest 9.2.0, removing all the 9.1.1 parts, and installed 9.2.0. But, as you can guess, the same problem still appeared. I called up the NI local supporting staff, but got no better solution.

Fortunately, my colleage told me that his machine (also win7 64-bit) could recognize the USB-6251 card, so I checked his machine and found the driver version is 9.0. So I, again, removed all 9.2.0 parts and installed 9.0.0. Keeping finger crossed, I restarted the PC and all the 3 cards are listed in MAX! How releaved I felt since we have to deliver this set to customer soon.

So, I post here what I have encountered and hopefully it can bring some attention and help those who have similar issues to avoid wasting time reinstalling again and again.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,708 Views)

Hi David-

Actually, 9.1.x, 9.2.x, and all planned versions for the foreseeable future were and will be compatible with Windows 7 64-bit.  I suspect that you may have been experiencing some kind of upgrade/downgrade corruption in your MAX configuration.

When the boards failed to show up in MAX, did they still show up in Device Manager?  If so, the steps in this KB may be helpful in cleaning up the problem.  If you are unsuccessful, please contact NI support (ni.com/support) for futher assistance.

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,707 Views)

I am not sure if MAX corruption is the cause, since every time I removed all the parts and then installed new drivers from scratch, and no error occurred when rebooting and no fault power off.

The Device Manager of Win7 can recognized all 3 cards every time I installed drivers, no matter which version, but MAX failed to list 6133 and USB6251 when using 9.1.1 and 9.2.0. I will test another card and see if it can be listed with DAQmx 9.0.0. If yes, I think I will stick to this version for a while since it can run under Win7 64bit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(4,695 Views)

Hi David-

Thanks for the additional information.

You would not necessarily have to experience any strange errors or power faults in order to see a MAX corruption.  And in fact, uninstalling drivers and reinstalling is not guaranteed to correct such a corruption on its own. 

The fact that your devices showed up in Device Manager and loaded correctly but did not show up in MAX points to some corruption in the persisted MAX storage that could likely be corrected using the steps in the KB I linked.  If you would like to use a newer version and have the time to try, those steps are worth trying.  However, if you have a setup that is working for you, you are of course welcome to stay with that as long as you would like.

To be clear, though, current versions of NI-DAQmx do support Windows 7 (and Windows Vista and Windows XP).  NI has tested extensively on each of those platforms to ensure compatibility.  If you want to upgrade and the KB I linked is not helpful, please feel free to post here for more information and we will try to help.

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(4,687 Views)

A quick question. Does 9.1.1 and 9.2.0 share the same MAX database? If I manually delete all the folders after uninstalling it, will the reinstall setup new MAX database?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(4,661 Views)

Yes, they share the same database.

If database is deleted, MAX will create a new database when you open MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,655 Views)

Hi David,

When you installed DAQmx 9.1.1 and were not able to see your devices in MAX, what NI software was on your machine? Specifically, was there any previous version of DAQmx, and any versions of LabVIEW? I would like to try and reproduce this behavior.

Thanks,

William Earle

National Instruments | Software Engineer | Data Acquisition Software

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(4,604 Views)

The machine was using 9.1.1 and PCIe-6361 at the beginning, and when I found MAX couldn't recognize PCI-6133, I uninstalled 9.1.1 and tried again. So I think the only version that was installed before was 9.1.1. I didn't install any Labview.

BTW, if 9.0.0, 9.1.1 and 9.2.0 share the same MAX database, and 9.0.0 could work well while the other two couldn't, it doesn't sound like MAX database crach to me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(4,585 Views)

When you uninstalled NI-DAQmx 9.2, did you uninstall all NI software or just DAQmx?  If you removed Measurement & Automation Explorer, that would have cleared the database.  If not, then we'll have to look at it more to determine why a downgrade of driver version would correct a database corruption issue.

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,569 Views)

I uninstalled everything you can find under National Instrument Software under windows uninstall program in control panel.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(4,553 Views)