Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ cards not selectable although listed in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

I have (re-)installed a PXI-6122 card on my computer.The device is then listed in the Measurement and Automation Explorer, but differently from what I am used to:

- it has another symbol than the two PXI-6259 cards I have (see image below);

- it is not possible to create a task for the device using MAX because there is no such button.

Further, in a LabVIEW 2010 "device" or "physical channel" enumeration control, it is not listed (unlike the two PXI-6229 cards).

I first suspected that the card might be broken. But it is correctly working on another PC (with its own PXI chassis). Also, when I replace the 6122 card by another one of the same type, the problem remains.

Then, I deinstalled all National Instruments software on my PC, deleted the "c:\Program files\National Instruments" folder and a couple of NI-related registry entries, and reinstalled LabVIEW 2010 and the device drivers. Now, the problem I had with the PXI-6122 now occurs for ALL three DAQ cards on the system (i.e., both 6229 cards AND the 6122 card): the icon in MAX is the one with the "PXI label", tasks can't be created in MAX and no devices/or physical channels are displayed in the respective LabVIEW controls.

Does anybody have an idea how I could proceed?

23506iCC217C49CDC2C34E

Message 1 of 10
(5,250 Views)

Hi,

I would recommend to go through the troubleshooting steps listed here:

MXI-3 and MXI-4 Troubleshooting Guide

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/484F81E6570AD803862569ED007AAA41?OpenDocument

Are you seeing some resource conflicts in the windows device manager? A MXI-4 device has an explicit entry in the device manager. If you have a conflict you can try to update NI-VISA to the latest version. This will include updates to your MAX and PXI Platform Services software as well.

Hope this will help!

Cheggers

Sascha
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,214 Views)

You didn't by chance last access the device with Traditional DAQ did you?  Have you tried resetting the device from MAX? Twice? does it self test OK?

I believe there are config options for the device (associate with SCB-68 / TB-2709) since you re-installed you may need to check the device associations. (Right click> Properties)

Last make sure the Windows device mgr hasn't disabled the device

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,193 Views)

@ Jeff Bohrer and cheggers:

No, I didn't acces the device with Tradition DAQ.

- the buttons for resetting the device or performing a self-test are not available (see screenshot above) --> seems to be part of the problem.

- everything is fine in Windows device manager

- there is no property menu available for the card --> seems to be part of the problem

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,154 Views)

My current hypothesis is that the problem is related to HP computers in combination with the newest NI-DAQmx Device Drivers (version 9.1.5)...

I tried the following:

• formatting the harddrive, reinstalling Windows (7 instead of XP), LV2010 and the newest device drivers: didn't help.
  • using another HP computer (Windows 7, LV2010 and the newest device drivers): didn't help
  • using another PXI chassis (PXI-1031 instead of PXI-1036) with another set up PXI DAQ cards in combination with any of the two above HP computers: didn't help
  • both PXI chassis (PXI-1031 and PXI-1036) work fine on a non-HP computer! Unfortunately, I could use this other computer only for testing, I can't use it for my working setup. So the problem is still unsolved...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,150 Views)

Hello dlanger,

We have recently discovered an software bug that was introduced in DAQmx 9.1 that can cause the MAX Database to become unusable by DAQmx, resulting in devices not showing up in MAX.  This issue occurs when certain Human Interface Devices (HIDs) are connected when the machine boots.  Among the HIDs that can cause this issue are certain models of HP keyboards or mice.

May I have your permission to contact you directly via email to have you test out a fix we are working on for this issue?

We have recently discovered an software bug that was introduced in DAQmx 9.1 that can cause the MAX Database to become unusable by DAQmx, resulting in devices not showing up in MAX.  This issue occurs when certain Human Interface Devices (HIDs) are connected when the machine boots.  Among the HIDs that can cause this issue are certain models of HP keyboards or mice. 

May I have your permission to contact you directly via email to have you test out a fix we are working on for this issue?

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,142 Views)

Hello dlanger,

Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,141 Views)

Hi Seth B.

That sounds promising! You can contact me directly via [langer AT hifo DOT uzh DOT ch].

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,122 Views)
Solution
Accepted by dlanger

To follow up on this forum, we have identified this as a known issue with versions of NI-DAQmx from 9.1 through 9.2.1.  We have released patches for these versions that we are making available today at the KnowledgeBase article linked below and through NI Update Service.  The issue will be corrected in NI-DAQmx 9.2.2 and later. We will also be releasing an NI-DAQmx 9.1.7 that includes the fix for those who would like to minimize upgrade risk from version 9.1.x.

For more information on this issue, please consult KnowledgeBase 5DF9GJZL: Why Do Certain USB Interface Devices Prevent NI Devices from Appearing in MA...

Seth B.
Message 9 of 10
(5,004 Views)

Hello Sir I am Manick.... i am using Labview 2010 version.... i installed a DAQ card PCI7830R in my PC.... i checked the DAQ card pins by creating a VI in Project Explorer of Labview window, its running succesful, Now i have to connect SCB68 block with my PC via 0 Connector.... i did it... My problem is....after doing this when i opened MAX explorer version 9.2.3, my DAQ device Physical Channel was not getting detected in MAX and also in coloumn Device & Interface ...DAQ board getting detected but its Property menu is not available when i right click the card...due to this i cannot connect my SCB68 .....so what i have to do to rectify this....?? my mail id is gopimsc.n@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,322 Views)