Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ 6224 register-level programming interface description

I am developing a device driver for the 6224 Analog Input card under the RTX OS.  Can't seem to find a detailed description of registers and control bits.  All I can find is the mseries_registermap.doc, which defines the reqister space, but does not contain any programming information such as sequencing, bit definitions, etc.  Does anyone know where I can find a register-level programming interface manual for this card?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,277 Views)
Hi Roy-

We do not have a published M Series register-level programmer's manual, but the Measurement Hardware Driver Development Kit (MHDDK, available here) provides register interfaces and examples for most types of operations with M Series and a variety of other devices.  It also provides an RTX-specific O/S interface layer for communication with the device.  It should be enough to get you started, but if you run into any problems please post to the DDK forum.

Thanks-

Message Edited by Tom W [DE] on 06-21-2007 09:35 AM

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,264 Views)
Tom,

I don't need the RTX-specific O/S interface layer since I already have accessed the cards bars and memory space.  The Driver development Kit gives C examples which use interface libraries which I don't have source for.

There must be an unpublished M Series register-level programmer's manual which can use.  Can you provide that to me?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,249 Views)

Hi Roy-

Can you please elaborate on which library source you're missing?  Is it possible that there is some confusion between NIDAQmx.lib (which ships on driver CD with the card) and the MHDDK source?

The MHDDK examples (for M Series) provide the source for register and bitfield access aliases (in tMSeries.x and tTIO.x) and then higher level examples for analog input, analog output, digital i/o, and counter i/o that use those register interfaces.  So, whether you're using your O/S interface or the one provided by the MHDDK, it should be relatively simple to get something running without using any other pre-compiled libraries.  We do not have an M Series RLP manual, but the register map and functional orders of operation supplied with the MHDDK should hopefully be enough to get you going.  In order to run the DMA-based ai examples you will also need to download the DMA library from the MHDDK download page.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to help out with them on the DDK forum.

Thanks-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,202 Views)

lorenze

Reply 1 of 1

Viewed 1 time

I've coded an RTX driver following the flow in example aiex1.cpp.  Setup for 7 channels.  Implemented all except I did not implement the aiGetScalingCoefficients.  Is it required?  What is it?

What changes are needed to setup for single ended common ground, instead of differential?  Is it necessary to have a voltage present on the 6224 during integration testing?

After initialization the JOINT_STATUS_2 returns 0x90 indicating that AI_Scan_In_Progress_St, and AI_EOC_St, and never clears.

Can't read from the FIFO unless the AI_Scan_In_Progress_St clears. 

Since NI doesn't provide a manual I have no idea what this means, except that these flags never clear. 

So where is the FIFO data?  Why are we using a FIFO.   Is there a mapped memory option instead?  I am not using DMA.

What exactly is flush call used in example code?  Are delays required between register commands?  Single stepping through the code gives the same JOINT_STATUS_2 status.

The example code calls write/read methods.  Does every write put zeros in non specific register bits?

Do you have a direct register accessing sequence with HEX inputs which shortcuts the labored methods used in the examples?  All I want is to read 7 analogs on demand at 100Hz.

Hope someone has answers.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,125 Views)

Hi Lorenze-

Please see my responses here.

Thanks-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,098 Views)