Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling a Power Supply with a potentiometer through labview

Hi,

I have a power supply that can only be controlled externally through a potentiometer.  I am attempting to control this power supply and be able to vary its setting through a LabVIEW interface.  I am wondering what the best method to control a digital potentiometer that I can hook up to the BNC port on the back of the equipment is.  I have access to arduino if that would be a good way to control it, and also have a DAQ BNC array which I am planning to use to control other pieces of equipment.  Otherwise, if there is a way to more directly control the pot. through LabVIEW that would be great too.

Thanks for the help,

J

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,854 Views)

What potentiometer are you using?  How is it controlled?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,831 Views)

I haven't ordered it yet but I was considering using this 10K d-pot (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10613).  I have access to plenty of breadboards that I can use, which I could then possibly hook up to my BNC-2090 terminal block.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,827 Views)

That chip is controlled by a SPI bus.  If your Arduino has a SPI interface, go with that.  Otherwise you could get a USB-8451.

Another idea is to find a UART-SPI controller and then you just need a serial port on your PC.  I have experimented with a UART-I2C chip with success.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(3,813 Views)

Most (low voltage) power supplies with voltage setpoint potentiometer use that potentiometer to create a reference voltage that is compared to the output with in a control loop, or simply divide the output voltage with that pot to compare it with a internal ref voltage again feeding the control loop.

Usually it's no problem to modify it to a control voltage input. BUT high voltage and real floating supplies need an extra look!

A schematic of the power supply is of great help 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,759 Views)