From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting A Linear Potentiometer To A NI 9215

Hi,

Could anyone recommend how to connect a 10k linear potentiometer to a NI 9215 with the DAQ Express software and have it read the resistance of the potentiometer throughout its full range fairly accurately. I currently have 5V running across the connection with the current parameter at 1mA.  I'm try to use the linear pot as a rough measure of distance.  The output signal does not read out linearly as the resistance goes from 0 to 10K.  As expected it reads fairly accurately around 5k, then it spikes up or down from there.

Thx,

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(735 Views)

Some points come into my mind:

potentiometer linearity:

For a common pot in the 1% to >5% range depending on type, so a calibration would make sense. If not build for angular or length sensing, the end points can be very nonlinear .. one idea would be to use a 10 turn precision potentiometer, even if you only use a fraction of it, the linearity is usually speced (and better) and I assume the resolution is limited by mechanics anyway 😉  (hysteresis, friction)

input impedance of the 9215:

if you habe the BNC version the input impedance is 200k Ohm, that influences your measurement.

Spikes:

Dust on pot and/or wiper lift-off (speed and dust) ? Or spikes on the 5V ?

Depending on the dynamics of your measurement, filter can help, I would try a median filter against spikes and a mean filter over at least one line frequency periode if possible.

So an individual calibration would be recommended, depending  on the result, make a fit with an apropriate polynom or a lookup table with interpolation.

I have never seen a non broken/abused/burned/dirty  potentiometer with a non monotone output. Keep in mind that potentiometer are build for quite rare use. Industrial potentiometer sensors have a price for a reason 😄

Finally, since you measure a voltage ratio, it's alway a good idea to measure both voltages ; )  so if you have a spare channel, measure pot supply and wiper output.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(665 Views)