Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring SCC or DAQCard or both? in LV

Hi all. I have been developing an application that requires a lot of flexability in the configuration of it's data acquisition.

The equipment:
Laptop running LV 7.1, NI-DAQmx7.4, win 2000
PCMCIA DAQCard-6062E connected to a SC-2345 signal conditioning carrier.
The carrier contains 4 AI01 (+/- 42VDC) analog input modules.

One configuration in MAX will not suffice and I can not rely on the end user to set things up correctly and maintain the settings. Thus I use LV to configure the DAQ thru DAQmx functions. Not a big issue. Whilst reading thru the documentation that ships with the SC-2345 I noticed a section on configuring it in MAX. I have already written vi's to configure the 6062E DAQCard according to input data (supplied in a file).

My Question: Do I also need to configure the SC-2345 in LV (create tasks etc) in order to get the right info to the appropriate channels on the DAQCard?

I was under the impression the signals would be "conditioned" by the analog input modules in the SC-2345 and sent automatically to the corresponding channels on the DAQCard and hence (thru the LV app) to the correct variables in the vi's. Why would I need to tell LV that SCC1Mod1/ai0 is configured at all? Won't the signal be conditioned regardless? Does the AI module in the carrier map the +/- 42VDC input range directly to a +/- 10V range for the DAQCard (so an input of +21VDC equates to +5V on the DAQCard)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,762 Views)
Greetings! Hope all is going well.

1) You should not have to configure the SCC in MAX as long as you select the physical channel in LabVIEW. This I assume you are doing with DAQmx function calls in LabVIEW. The same applies with SCC.

2)  We have to make sure that we tell LabVIEW which physical channel you want to read from or generate to signals.

3) The configuring in MAX is required for customers who would like to test the configuration and working of their setup

4) SCC allows the signal conditioning on a per channel basis and answers that each channel is conditioned

5) Could you let me know more about what you mean - Why would I need to tell LV that SCC1Mod1/ai0 is configured at all?

6) To explain more on what you might be looking for example -
If you want to acquire a continuous frequency measurement using the DAQ device's internal clock and an SCC-FV01 Frequency Input module. You would select the  "SCC1Mod1/ai0" corresponding to frequency channel 0 on Module 1 of SCC module carrier 1. You have to just choose that channel in LabVIEW.
7)  You can look at the example finder and in the search tab use SCC and that should result in three examples.

😎 Setting the range of the signal in DAQmx will automatically configure the gain and the corresponding voltage in the SCC modules. The voltage range are directly mapped and DAQmx would take care of setting the fain.

9) Listed below are the power options.
I am assuming you are using pwr03 option

Thanks and hope this helps
Good luck

Avi Harjani

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,752 Views)
Hi,

The above reply answers my questions but there is a problem. I am using one AI04 and 7 AI01's, the problem is AI04 range is +/- 5V and when I tried to measure more than 5 volts on my AI01;s the value is sturated at 5V is there any way I can get around it.

Thanks,

Mudda
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,654 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,651 Views)