From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer motherboard

Hi, I have a DAQ board that has PCI connection.

Since the computer I am using is pretty slow. While I was searching for a new desktop, how come the new computers has only one PCIe slot available. And the only PCI slot has been occupied by the graph card. 

Do you have any suggestions about what computer I should use or any suggestions about using PCI on PCIe slot? I would like to keep using my old PCI board.

Tried the adaptor but the system can not detect the board. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,208 Views)

If you would like to keep the PCI DAQ, you would need to get a motherboard with PCI slot (don't go for a PCIe to PCI adapter, 99% it won't work with the DAQ).

I do understand that it is quite challenging to get a (consumer) motherboard with PCI slot but business-grade PC or motherboards come with PCI slot.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,192 Views)

Hi Santhosh

Thanks for the help. But when I was searching for the desktop. Most desktop has one PCI slot. 

Like I said in the question. I am wondering do you have any suggestions? 

It's quite funny that seems like everyone is giving up onPCI. But I am still searching for PCI motherboard. 

Qi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,177 Views)

In fact, there are many industrial PC vendors who still supply motherboards with PCI slots but they tend to be expensive compared to consumer-grade stuff you get easily.

I would recommend reaching out to your local Dell, Lenovo, HP or other PC dealer and asking for a desktop with your required number of PCI slots (typically the business-grade ones comes with PCI slot but never the consumer-grade stuff)

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,165 Views)

An Advantech industrial computer could be one of many solutions to get the desired number of PCI and PCIe slots.

Message 5 of 7
(1,154 Views)

Advantech's are solid, I have many in use.

ICI also has some desktop form factors with PCI (again, not cheap):

https://www.eindustrialcomputers.com/rackmount-industrial-computer/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=...

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,137 Views)

Hi Santhosh

Thanks for the help. Actually, I did that. But here I am.

Most local sales only want to sell some known products to customers. When it comes to some tech details, they just recommend making a call to confirm before purchase.  You have no idea I have been waiting in the DELL service line, especially during transferring from different sales teams to tech teams before anyone can answer my question. 

Really appreciate your quick reply. 

Sincerely

Q

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,044 Views)