From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely unable to connect to cDAQ-9185 - tried all troubleshooting

Solved!
Go to solution

To my knowledge I have followed every instruction in the manual to troubleshoot my connection (as well as tons of NI knowledge article online) as well as every Ethernet connection trick that I know, but I still cannot connect to the cDAQ in any way.  

NI MAX reports "The device you requested could not be found on the network".  Scanning for IP addresses doesn't return anything.  Setting my IP address to a link-local address doesn't allow it to connect.  I did try resetting the cDAQ by holding down the reset button but it didn't look like this caused any change (LEDs did not change).  I have not been able to reload the firmware using the Web-Based Configuration Tool yet because it just prompts me to reinstall Silverlight ever time I try to open it...

The one odd thing that stands out is that the STATUS light is solid amber at all times.  The manual says to ensure it is off (and not blinking) and that solid amber means that the firmware is booting or updating.  So....maybe it's stuck booting the firmware?  Will I even be able to load new firmware if I can't connect over Ethernet?  I'm a bit frusterated and hoping it is just that I am new to using a cDAQ.  Please, any suggestions of what could be going on?  Or for further things for me to try?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,512 Views)

Whenever I have issues connecting to an ethernet connected NI device, the culprit always ends up being the firewall (Symantec or Windows Firewall).  Try turning them off and see if you can ping the device then (it make take a few minutes after the firewall is disabled).  If you can ping the device, then check that NI MAX see it as well.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,460 Views)

What version of DAQmx do you have installed? You need at least v17.1 for the cDAQ-9185.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,445 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BrianOSullivan

Turns out it was dead on arrival 😞  Just got a new cDAQ in and it connect just fine.  The amber light staying on indefinitely is not normal operation and is what keyed the support rep into the fact that it was dead.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,425 Views)