From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CompactDAQ Module options for controlling 16 pneumatic cylinder valves

Solved!
Go to solution

Currently we are using the NI 9482 relay module to control one valve for a double acting pneumatic cylinder system. 

Valve: 

IMI Norgren K71EA00KV2KV22W2

Internal Pilot Supply

24VDC, 6W

Solenoid:

IMI Norgren 83J

24VDC, 0.25A     

We want to expand to control 16 valves. Because each valve takes up 2 relay channels,  this would mean needing 8 modules to control all 16 valves. Are there other modules that can be used? I've read in forums that the NI 9478 is good for industrial solenoid and valve applications, but I'm not sure if that would fit with the valves+solenoids that we are currently using. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,044 Views)

Whether the 9478 or the 9477 would fit your needs. In any case you would need flyback current protection diodes!

See 9477/8 manual.  This diode is important, if you turn of a solenoid, a so called flyback current is created by the inductivity.

If no flyback diode is provided , the semiconductor switches are fried.  Usually that diode is no problem, unless you need (very) fast turn off times.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 4
(2,991 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author llim

Sorry, I reread what I wrote..  (not a native english speaker) ... and the first word of my reply sounds wrong.

Both devices the 9478 and the 9477 can be used for your task.  You just have to add some protection....  🙂

I really wonder why NI didn't included protection diodes ... these are not intented as USB 6k series low end devices ....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,980 Views)

Thank you Henrik! It was very helpful; we will make sure to include the protection diodes in our setup.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,967 Views)