Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication with a different DAQmx device of the same model

I have created a LabVIEW program with a USB-6003 that will be used with other USB-6003 devices besides this one when this application is finally built. In MAX the device I used for development was identified as Dev2. My program worked fine with Dev2. Now when I plug a different USB-6003 into my computer the program could not see it. When I opened MAX I saw my original Dev2 with a red X beside because it couldn't be seen, but there was also a new USB-6003 that needed to be initiated. But as you know my LabVIEW program is written with the physical channels starting with 'Dev2'! Is there a way such that for any single USB-6003 that I plug into my computer, MAX and my program will see it as Dev2? Is there another way around this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,786 Views)

A few options:

1. In MAX, you can delete the current Dev2 and rename your new device to Dev2.

2. Use a configuration file that your application reads that defines the device and/or channels to use.

3. You can dig through the DAQmx properties to search for the device you want.  This will get a lot more difficult if you have multiple devices of the same model attached.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,726 Views)

If there will be only one USB-6003 connected to the host computer at any time, your application can use the DAQmx System Node to query for all available present DAQmx devices and verify that its product type is correct like the VI snippet below. If output from the for loop is blank, then it did not find the device it was looking for.

LookForDAQmxDevice.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,681 Views)

Thank you for your reply, that sums it up that there would only be one USB-6003 at a time. Could you take me a little further on this? Now I have a method to derive the device but in the DAQmx pallete, the Create Channel has an input called "physical channel" that is both a device and a port on that device. Is there a VI that will combine the device with a desired port on the DAQ device to create a physical channel to input into a create channel vi? Or is there some other method I would use?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,673 Views)

@peacefulpaul55 wrote:

Is there a VI that will combine the device with a desired port on the DAQ device to create a physical channel to input into a create channel vi? Or is there some other method I would use?

It's called Format Into String.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 5
(1,670 Views)