From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot measure AC current using NI VirtualBench - NI VB-8012

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I’m trying to perform manual AC current measurements, but a result is just a noise.

I have a simple series circuit with FGEN, as VirtualBench, and load resistor of 50[Ohm]. My measuring setup is as described in the attached image. Except the batteries – I use fGEN at frequency of 486kHZ.

I’m pretty sure that my measuring setup is correct, because when I switch to DC mode – I have a comprehensive current measurements. In addition, when running in AC mode, through the AC multi meter connection, the load resistor is warming up – which means that there is a current in my circuit.

Both fuses were tested for continuity – and were fine.

What do I miss here? Is there some kind of “reset” for the virtual bench?

Thanks in advance

Art

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,793 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ArtB83

ArtB83 wrote:

I’m trying to perform manual AC current measurements, but a result is just a noise.

I have a simple series circuit with FGEN, as VirtualBench, and load resistor of 50[Ohm]. My measuring setup is as described in the attached image. Except the batteries – I use fGEN at frequency of 486 kHz.

I'm not an analog engineer, but I hypothesize that this circuit's frequency is beyond what the VirtualBench DMM can measure.

Looking that the specs, it appears that the DMM has guaranteed accuracy for AC signals up to 5 kHz:

vbdmm.png

If you reduce your circuit's frequency to 5 kHz or lower, do you see good measurements?

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 2 of 3
(2,767 Views)

Hi Joe, 

You were 100% right - When I dropped my work frequency to 5kHz - the ampere-meter started to show correct values. 

Thank you very much.

Art

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,757 Views)