Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find device 9163 using DAXmx 9.1.7

Solved!
Go to solution

I am setting up NI module 9237 (for strain gauges) using the ENET-9163 Ethernet C series Carrier.

I have installed DAQmx 9.1.7 which should contain the fix for failure to find device when other USB devices are installed. (I have an HP desktop with USB mouse, keyboard, etc, still running Windows XP SP3)

When I run Measurement and Automation explorer (Version 4.7.0f4) and ask to Find Network NI-DAQmx devices, nothing shows up.  The troubleshooting steps in the Getting Started Guide NI-DAQmx for the NI WLS/ENET-9163 are not helpful. (I don't yet have a static IP address for the 9163, that is what I want to set up; I don't have a DHCP server)

I am creating a 2nd ethernet connection on this computer using the Cables to Go USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter, which has serverd me well in many other projects for creating a private network for running data acquisition hardware.  So I think the ethernet itself is just fine. 

What should I try next?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,811 Views)

Hello CRB,

Thanks for the post. Is the 9163 new or is it one that may have been configured for another system? Perhaps it is configured with a static IP and that is why you cannot find it?

I would say to rule out any unknown configurations, do a factory reset of the 9163. Simply hold down the "reset" button for 5 seconds or more and this will set the IP settings to DHCP or Link Local. Next connect the 9163 directly to the computer or to a router that is on the same IP subnet as the Host PC.

I would also make sure you are using the latest DAQmx driver witch is 9.2.3. You can find this driver by going to ni.com/support.

Let us know if any of these steps help you configure your 9163 in MAX.

Cheers

Corby

Network DAQ R & D PSE

National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,808 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CRB

I had done a factory reset, so that was not the issue.

I eventually upgraded to DAXmx 9.2.3, which has much better help text for setting up.

In my network configuration where I have a separate private network I needed to use the allow to pick an IP address automatically setting.  (Normally I set up my own private ip addresses, without DHCP).  Once I did that, and using 9.2.3 (I did both at the same time), I was able to find the 9163, and give it my own static IP address.

Then I switched the network connection back to static fixed and reconnected to the card now with its own static IP address on the same subnet as the network card.

So, all is well.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,775 Views)