Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you configure a new system programatically without using MAX

Using a NiDaq 6.9 library traditional C, can you configure a system without using MAX automation tool. On a new system can I have the software and hardware installed, and then run the program that uses Nidaq, without running MAX first?

Currently I do have software that runs successfully, I have always run MAX during my software development. When the systems are configured by manufacturing, is there going to be a requirement to run MAX on each system?

I am using the Ni 6023E card in a Windows 2000 system.

-John Stevens
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,508 Views)
Hello John,

Thank you very much for contacting National Instruments.

It seems as if you had already configured your system in MAX in you currernt machine. If you are using the NI-DAQ API and trying to access channels that are configured in MAX (i.e Traditional Global Channels), you would need to include the configuration file to your new machines. You don't have to reconfigure your channels in each machine though. You could basically import your configuration file from your current machine to new machines.

In order to save your current configuration file, go to MAX» File» Export»all data. The saved configuration file can then be imported to your new machine where you want to use your application. On the target machine, go to to MAX» File» Import». Please note that if you try to import all data in the file, you could potentially delete existing configurations in your new machine. If you don't have anything configured in your new machine, then you could import all data, otherwise be selective in importing only the channels that you need to be present in your target machine.

If you want to deploy your code in an executable format, then you don't have to use MAX but you would need to include the aforementioned configuration file as a support file when creating your executable.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for contacting National Instruments.

Ayman K
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(2,493 Views)
John,

Ayman's response is correct if you are using the newer NI-DAQmx driver. However, it sounds like you are using Traditional NI-DAQ (6.9.x). In which case, you do need to run/refresh MAX once after installing hardware in order for Traditional NI-DAQ to recognize your hardware. However, there is an undocumented/unsupported utility called NIAutoConfig.exe that is installed in the Windows System32 directory when you install Traditional NI-DAQ. Running this utility is the same as opening and refreshing MAX. However, if you install multiple boards, you will not know which board was assigned which ID. I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,464 Views)