From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't provide Iex for PT100 RTD using NI 9217

Hello, I'm trying to setup a PT100 RTD using the NI 9217 C-Series module but according to my multimeter (probes connected to RTD+ and COM on channel 1), there is no current flow. Also, Labview won't let me toggle from Internal to External or None as the Iex source.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,934 Views)

What readings are you expecting to see?

Danielle

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,883 Views)

This problem seems to be getting a bit stranger. I changed channels and am getting Iex = 0.5 mA which is fine but setting up the RTD as an 'RTD' in labview gives me a temperature of ~-270C that doesn't update when I immerse the probe in hot water. However I can setup  Labview to read the RTD as a resistance which DOES work (reads ~107 ohms at room temp which is about right considering conversion factor to temperature) but it gives me a negative value. This is easy enough to work around but really bizarre.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,878 Views)

How are you reading the temperature and resistance? With a DMM?

Are you running code and seeing these results?

When you run the Getting Started example for this module do you see the same unexpected results?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,854 Views)

I don't mean to bump an old thread but I just had this problem and noticed that this thread was never fully answered.

The negative number for the resistance measurement (as reported back through the Distributed System Manager or from a shared variable node) is because you plugged the wires in backwards and it's subtracting off the measurement resistance (RTD+ to RTD-) from the lead-wire resistance (RTD- to COM) instead of vice-versa. When done properly, this provides a more accurate value for the temperature-modified resistance of the PT100 sensor.

Using a DMM, figure out which combinations of the 3 wires provides a ~100 ohm or a ~1 ohm measurement. The two leads that provide a minimal resistance between them should be plugged into RTD- and COM (interchangeable). The remaining wire that provides a ~100 ohm measurement to the other two should be plugged into RTD+. If you're using an NI-9217 in 3-wire mode, the excitation current will be internally routed out through the RTD+ output.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,556 Views)