Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a PXIe-6363 be used for capacitance measurements?

Hello,

We are trying to measure the capacitance across two parallel plates. Is it possible to use the PXIe-6363 to measure capacitance? I know there is a DMM from NI but we are trying to use what we have.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(661 Views)

How are you planning to measure capacitance? by sourcing current and measuring the voltage at different points?

Inherently there is no feature on DAQ that will help you measure capacitance. You are trying to hit a nail but all that you've is a mobile phone, yeah, you can hit the nail but with what effect is the question.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(643 Views)

I've done a similar experiment with the analog outputs of a multifunction I/O module. You can use the analog outputs to generate the waveforms across the capacitor then measure the resulting frequency response. It would be kind of crude and you'd have to do the math yourself but it is theoretically possible.

Look up how LCR meters measure capacitance to get a better idea of how you might implement the measurement. Depending on what capacitance you're expecting to measure, you could look at some of the bench multimeters on the market if the PXIe-4082 is too expensive for you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(629 Views)