From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Daqmx count sinuous periods?

Hi,

I am trying to read my linear encoder by USB-6211. My A and B signals are sinuous signals between +/- 50mV. I want to use the linear encoder task of Daqmx to count the distance I moved, but it doesn't work. Is any requirement for the linear encoder task od Daqmx?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,361 Views)
Hi Derek,

The USB-6211 Multifunction DAQ device is not capable of the Resolver/LVDT measurement you describe. This is because simultaneous sampling and/or a stimulation signal is required (depending on your sensor’s technology Resolver or LVDT). This document does an excellent job explaining the technologies and what types of devices can perform the measurements you desire: “LVDT/RVDT/Resolver Measurements” (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3613).

Two hardware options come to mind as a solution for this type of measurement: SCXI instruments or R-Series FPGA instruments. SCXI provides signal conditioning, and FPGA is ideal if you want to develop your own simultaneously sampled encoder reading device.

Can you provide more details about your sensor, like the make/model as well as the manual?
David G
Sales Engineer - SE Michigan & N Ohio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,333 Views)
You could also externally condition your +/- 50 mV A and B signals to 0-5 V square waves with some DC offset injection and a comparator. With 0-5 V square waves, you should be able to use the USB-6211's counters to make a linear encoder position measurement.
Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,321 Views)

Is it possible I set a threshold value to build an internal counter? Do you have similar programs?

My sensor is an optical encoder. It generate two sinuous signals within pi/2 phase difference.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,293 Views)
I don't quite understand your question. It sounds like you want to use DAQmx to set a compare value for your optical encoder's signals and then use a counter to make the measurement. If that's what you mean, then no, you cannot do that since the hardware does not have that functionality. You will need to externally condition your signals so that they match TTL levels: 0-5 Volts.
Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,287 Views)

I mean since I already got the sinuous signals between +/- 50mV by DAQ. All I want is to count the peak numbes of these signals. So could I set a threshold value to build up a counter by while loop? That will not go through the DAQassistant but write a LabView counter directly.Do you have simular examples?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,280 Views)