Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibrate the PXIe 4081 DMM

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXIe 4081 DMM and want to do a calibration. In the calibration procedure document, it says that I need to call the niDMM Cal Adjust Gain VI or the niDMM_CalAdjustGain function when performing DC Voltage adjustment. However, no description about how to call this function was found on the document. The soft front panel only has the self-calibrate function, no calibration function. Does anyone know how to do the calibration? The software I use is NI-DMM 16.0.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,425 Views)

Hi YCChau,

That is a VI that you can use in a LabVIEW program that you write yourself. It is not available in the soft front panel.

If you'd like your HW to be calibrated for you, this service is offered both by NI and by third-party calibration labs around the world. Otherwise, you'll need to write your own LabVIEW code that calls this function.

Best,

Duncan W.

Technical Support

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,389 Views)

Doing adjustments (and verifications) of that type of device , and we are talking about a 7.5 digits DMM!, needs  good and calibrated standards! The cal manual states: 

MultifunctioncalibratorFluke 5720A orFluke 5730A

Voltage, Current, Resistance

Maintained at 90 dayspecification

or equivalent 😉 and a lot of other nice 8.5 digit equipment  AND:  .. usually labs that have a standard like that also know how to handle it and the connections (while no rocket science, it needs a lot of subtile aspects regarded to not make things worse ;)),  ... and usually wouldn't ask such questions 😄

Are you shure you want to do an adjustment? 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,378 Views)

Yes. We have Fluke 732B voltage references which are directly calibrated against our Josephson array voltage standard. So we have confident to perform adjustment on this grade of DMM.

I ask this question is that when I perform adjustment on other DMMs, such as Agilent 3458A or Fluke 8508A, they do not require any software to perform adjustment, just using their front panel keys is sufficient. However, the NI PXIe-4081 is not the same, I cannot find any key on the soft front panel can do this adjustment.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,374 Views)
Solution
Accepted by YCChau

@YCChau wrote:

Yes. We have Fluke 732B voltage references which are directly calibrated against our Josephson array voltage standard. So we have confident to perform adjustment on this grade of DMM.

OK ... wellcome to the club

I ask this question is that when I perform adjustment on other DMMs, such as Agilent 3458A or Fluke 8508A, they do not require any software to perform adjustment, just using their front panel keys is sufficient. However, the NI PXIe-4081 is not the same, I cannot find any key on the soft front panel can do this adjustment.

NI sell a calibration suite software AFAIR, you can ask NI if that model is supported.. . NI Calibration Executive (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13630)

or if you already have LabVIEW installed, I would create a vi to do the calibration .. (I have done so for our scope and timing cards) (or use any other software that is supported)

The soft panel DMM provided do not support other than self-calibration.

So either you buy the software or write your own by following the step by step cal documentation. I assume that a lab (NMI?)  that runs a JS, there is someone who can stick that together in a day or two.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,372 Views)

I have a LabVIEW 2016, so I will try to write the LabVIEW code to do the adjustment.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,367 Views)