Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C series module analogue to digital signal

I am currently sourcing pressure transducers suitable for injection moulding applications and i have an inherited cDAQ-9174 system. I am informed by the pressure transducer supplier that a charge amplifier is not required, therefore the only issue remaining is converting the signal from analogue to digital so it can be processed by labview. Is there a C series module that is suitable for converting from an analogue signal received from the transducers to a digital signal?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,054 Views)

What are the signal requirements of the transducer?  0-10V?  4-20mA?

At what rate do you want to sample the signal?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,041 Views)

The signal output is 33 mV +/- 2% i believe. I have attached the specification of the pressure transducer suggested to me. As for the sampling rate i am unsure on what would be the optimum? The purpose of the transducer is to collect data during the injection cycle of an injection moulding machine, the data collected will then be analysed using lab view via the cDAQ 9174 system. However, is there anyway to control the timing of the data recorded by the transducers, to ensure that the transducers are only measuring during the injection cycle and not constantly even when nothing is actually happening.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,034 Views)

Do you have any suggestions based on the info in my previous reply. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,012 Views)

Hey aje,

If I understand the datasheet you attached correctly, then this pressure transducer is a Wheatstone bridge (Measuring Strain with Strain Gages), electrically. Therefore you would need a Bridge Input Module. I am not fully sure how to understand "Four active arm bonded Wheatstone bridge strain gage". Sounds like the sensor has a Full-Bridge configuration, however I don't know why the datasheet does not state this directly. In that case you could use any Module that is compatible with a Full-Bridge configuration. But better ask NI Sales before buying the wrong module.

@aje864 wrote:

However, is there anyway to control the timing of the data recorded by the transducers, to ensure that the transducers are only measuring during the injection cycle and not constantly even when nothing is actually happening.

If you can get any signal from the DAQ to the injector or the other way round, then yes. Are you controlling the injection cycle from LabVIEW? Or does your injection controller hardware send a signal to the cDAQ like "I am working"? Then it's easy.
If not, can you measure/wire any signal to do so? E.g. if you have moving parts, having a small sensor detecting that something is happening?

Otherwise, you could also do measurements constantly with your pressure transducer, but program your LabVIEW application to only record its measurements when the measurement is above(?) a specific threshold.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,951 Views)