Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BNC 2090 crosstalk

Hi clarksonphysics, 

You are right that does not sound out of spec at all. What are these signals you are measuring?  What other card and BNC breakout have you tried?  Were you measuring the same signals with the different equipment?

Sorry for the barrage of questions I am just trying to figure out as much as I can about your system.

Regards, 

Kyle S

Regional Account Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,003 Views)

The both signals are coming from a certain type of photogate call them photogate 1 and 2 such that when something is in front of them the voltage drops from around 5v to about a half of a volt. I have linked a few pictures of the signals I get from each individually in the original post. When I tried the other equipment it was the same model number for both the card and the breakout. When I used the other equipment it was the same with photogate 1 but not the same as 2 but the effect was still there and it was obvious it was the same problem. I have done more testing and it appears that the crosstalk does not happen until I specifically start monitoring the two channels in labview. So if I tell labview to look at channels 1 and 2 for a test, and then switch the inputs to 3 and 4 there will be no crosstalk until I run the next test in which case channel 3 and 4 will interfere with each other but 1 and 2 will not.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,001 Views)

What happens if you were to ground channel 2 when reading from 1, do you still see the noise introduced on the input?  

Regards, 

Kyle S

Regional Account Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(988 Views)

If I have an input to channel 1 as a constant 5 volts and ground channel 2, channel 2 reads as 0 and channel 1 drops down to about a half of a volt down from 5.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(977 Views)

Can you try hooking up a known voltage source that is not varying at all and doesn't have any inherent noise on it?  Something like a 9 volt battery just to make sure the card isn't malfunctioning.

Regards, 

Kyle S

Regional Account Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(969 Views)

Attached is the measurement of a 9v battery.

9v battery.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(953 Views)